Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssgdul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 08:31 PM
    No heat cycle
    Boiler will go to set temp //shut off then not cycle back on when temp drops below setting.. if I turn the thermstat off then back on it will heat to set temp but not come back on.. pump doesn't seem to shut off even at 5-6 degrees below set temp.theromstat is a RobertShaw on a wellsMclain boiler.. thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
    I don't quite understand about the pump. The thermostat usually has a red wire to an R terminal, and a white wire to a W terminal. Shut the power off to the system and remove the thermostat from the wall. Remove the red and white wires and connect them. Turn the power back on. The boiler should come on normally. Let it heat for a while and then disconnect the wires. The boiler should go through its normal shutdown cycle. After the house cools a bit, connect the wires again. If the boiler starts up normally, the problem is in the thermostat. All it does is switch power from the red wire to the white.

If the pump runs when the boiler isn't firing, that is a different problem, most likely a stuck relay.
    ridgid002 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
    labman is probably right about this one sounds like what u are saying is that the circulator doesn't shut off boilers are set up 1 of 2 ways either on a cold start system... this is where the boiler only runs when there is a call for heat or hot water... or on a maintaining which is where the boiler will maintain a set temperature based on the settings on the control normally 160-180 degrees if your system does not restart itself without resetting the tstat more than likely the aquastat relay is sticking and by lowering and raising the t-stat you're in essence resetting the relay usually u can get these at a local supply house
    But they can be pretty costly usually a cold start control will run u about 100 dollars where as a maintaining control will be in the 150 range

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Dog heat cycle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a dog and I think he is on his heat cycle and I would like to know if this is the reason that he is losing weight like crazy because I don't have a female dog just a male and some of my friends say its because of the heat cycle and they recommended me to use nutri-cal for this situation do...

Kenmore dryer: how long should heat cycle? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my initial post to this forum and hope someone out there can help. I own a Kenmore dryer (87984800) that is about 12 years old. Recently, it has begun to take two cycles to dry a medium-large load of clothes. This is unusual for this dryer. The dryer is doing the following:...

Carrier split - heat burners cycle on and off [ 7 Answers ]

Carrier split unit in heat mode appears to basically operate OK. Once the pilot is lit and the burners come on, the pilot remains lit but the burners will intermittently cycle on and off. This appears to sometimes delay the blower from turning on. Once the blower turns on, it heats to the set temp...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Won't Heat on Timed Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer that is 4 years old. The dryer will not heat on the timed cycle, but it will heat on the Even Heat Cycle. The heating element will not com on when I have the timed cycle selected. On the Even Heat Cycle all of the temperature settings work. My dryer has a rotary...

View more questions Search