Ask
    mobkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Phrases words
    What does pandora box mean
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
    It's a term from a story in Greek mythology. From Wikipedia (underlining is mine):

After Prometheus' theft of the secret of fire, Zeus ordered Hephaestus to create the woman Pandora as part of the punishment for mankind. Pandora was given many seductive gifts from Aphrodite, Hermes, Charites, and Horae (according to Works and Days). For fear of additional reprisals, Prometheus warned his brother Epimetheus not to accept any gifts from Zeus, but Epimetheus did not listen, and married Pandora.

Pandora had been given a large jar and instructed by Zeus to keep it closed, but she had also been given the gift of curiosity, and ultimately opened it.

When she opened it, all of the evils of mankind escaped from the jar, although Pandora was quick enough to close it again and keep one value inside--Hope.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
    People will say " your opening a whole pandoras box here" meaning a whole load of trouble.Putting the cat amongst the pigeons or opening a hornets nest, all basically mean the same.

It's just a figure of speech which means... sometimes things are best left alone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translating Words and Phrases Into Sanskrit. The Ins and Outs of It. [ 17 Answers ]

I am just wondering what is involved in the translation of words and phrases from the English language into the written or spoken language of Sanskrit. From time to time, we get some questions about how to translate words or phrases from the English language to the Sanskrit language or script, and...

English to Yugoslavian phrases [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to say these phrases in Yugoslavian? 1) beautiful Princess 2) I am forever yours 3) I would do anything for you Thank you all for your help.

Some new Russian phrases [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't taken any Russian classes, yet. But I have been doing some online studies, and have a Russian friend who has taught me much. I know the alphabet and how to read cyrillic, just not what it all means! Anyway, I know the basic phrases (i.e. da, nyet, privet, da svidanya, spasibo,...

Explain these phrases [ 6 Answers ]

1. To lose the glory of from 2. To forego the wreath 3. Sunset glow 4. Golden Days Decline 5. Hot prison of the present

View more questions Search