Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcguy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 05:12 PM
    H4-F1-H1 Tax Question
    I entered US in 1999 on H4 Visa. I changed my status in Dec 2001 to F1 student. My status changed again in Oct 2005 to H1-B.

I was on F1 status for less than 5 yrs. So I should be filing for 2005 as a non-resident and filing forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 only. Is that right? If so, am I eligible for the India Tax Treaty and standard deduction of $5000? (I tried using CINTAX and it did not allow me the standard deduction.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
    You are correct. Your status change to H-1B is too late to qualify to file as a resident alien, so you must file as a non-resident alien.

You can claim the $5,000 standard deduction authorized under the U.S.-Indian Tax Treaty.

The problem with the CINTAX program has been noted on this forum. The CINTAX program does not do F-1 to H-1B conversions.
    dcguy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Thanks a lot ATE.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search