Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 04:59 PM
    401k to Roth IRA
    I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000.

If I transfer the money to a Roth IRA before I leave, will I still have to deduct state and city taxes when I rollover to the Roth IRA (I reside in NYC)? What if I file as an italian resident, will I avoid state/city taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Yes, the conversion to Roth is a taxable event for NY state and NYC taxes if you do it while you live in NYC.

Obviously, you should wait until you leave NYC if you wish to avoid the NY state/NYC taxes.

If you wait until you get back to Italy, you will avoid the NY-based taxes. However, you may have to pay Italian taxes (I cannot say for sure as I do not deal with taxes in Italy; suggest you seek guidance from a Italian tax professional).
    agia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Interesting. Which federal tax bracket will be applied to my 401k if I convert to a Roth IRA this year? I only have Jan and Feb pay stubs for less than $8,000 total. Assuming I'll have no job in Italy until 2007, will that set me in the 10% federal tax bracket?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 07:44 PM
    No, the $40,000 distribution will put you through the 15% bracket and squarely into the 25% tax bracket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

Roth ira question [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. Can anyone tell me about penalties and taxes due on a withdrawl from a ROTH IRA at age 58? Account has been open since 1998 when it was rolled over from a 401k and taxes paid on the rollover. Is it just earnings that are taxable? Must you be 59 1/2 to avoid a penalty? Can't seem to get a...

Roth IRA Limits [ 1 Answers ]

I contribute to a Roth IRA currently. The amount I contribute is reduced based on my AGI. I have been able in the past to compute the max amount I'm allowed to contribute. However, I plan on getting married this year and I am trying to figure just how this will impact my/our contributions to the...

Roth IRA Question [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether I can continue to contribute to a Roth IRA while I am collecting unemployment benefits? Hopefully it won't be for long. Am still paying taxes on unemployment benefit check.

View more questions Search