Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lia moody Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Lost 401k
    I worked for a company about 15 yrs ago and I need to know how I would check to see if I still have my 401k plan
    rescue me Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 05:17 AM
    First you contact the old company and then the Human Rescoures dept and tell them you left the company around 15 years ago and forgot about your 401K and you need to find out who the contact person would be to check into it, if you invested in it or even if they did for you (although most companies if leave before a year is up keep the money) , you will some vested amount in it, just because you left does not mean it does not still exist. The money would still be there however it would no longer have had employer matches or anything. Once you find out if it still exists or not get the information and if you have an IRA contact them and allow your IRA broker to have it rolled over for you. Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Well most companies have their 401K managed by a investment firm, you should be getting yearly reports of the money.
    But contacting that company and finding out where or who is investing the money is the start. Again all the money you put in, should be yours normally, the matching part is often loss if you did not work for them long enough.
    I was in a union over 30 years ago, never moved out my small retirement I still get a notice every year from them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 08:23 AM
    When you terminate with a company, they are required to file a form annually with Social Security that indicates you have a pending benefit. When you file to collect Social Security they will inform you of any pending benefits you have. If you contact them before retirement you may be able to get the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: where can I get help in locating an old 401k plan from a company that has sinced changed names twice and I believe finally went under.. at the time of me leaving my position I was totally naïve about my 401kplan... the only thing I knew was that I was giving the 5% contribution...

Lost 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I worked for a company in 2001 & 2002, I had moved out of state and did not transfer my 401k plan onto my next job, because they did not offer Retirement benefits. I am back in the original state I worked in, in 2001 & 2002 and am working at a place that offers 401k. I am trying to...

401k lost [ 2 Answers ]

I had a 401k at another job I was out of work 4 about a year when I got my new job got full time I tried 2 roll my 401k over 2 my new retirement plan now its been about 5 years guardian corporation the 1 I was through said the state took it is there any way I can get it back there was a lot of...

Lost 401K [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find old 401K. From my other Jobs in the past?

I lost my 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a 401K with my first Job out of college in 2002. 9months later the company unexpectedly went out of business. I always thought I would get info on the 401k in the mail, but nothing ever came and I don't even remember what company they set it up with. Is there anyway to look it up?

View more questions Search