Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tonyac Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Garbage disposal
    What is the best way to clean the garbage disposal? Sometimes I put in a lemon but it really doesn't seem to work well enough. Any products for eating away the gunk?
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2006, 06:44 PM
    There is a product you can pick up from your local hardware store or walmart. I believe it is called disposer care and I got this at wal-mart. As a side note I normally put ice down the disposal with it turned on to sharpen the blades. I do not know if the ice works... but have not had a problem so far. :-) As far as the product disposer care. It is a couple of dollars and comes in a yellow box with a few packets. All you do is put the yellow bag in the disposal. Let it run for a few minutes then let it sit. All done... you might even stick your hand down there and feel around for anything that should not be there. Just be careful... good luck.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 07:10 PM
    I tried the lemon once and wasn't impressed, though later I was told that you are to use just the rind. Also heard about throwing in some baking soda.

I've got a brush, similar to a toilet cleaning brush, that fits down into the hole and I'll use it and some soap probably once a month to scrub it clean. Seems to work well enough.

I haven't tried the commercial tablets that you can buy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Hey Tony,

For loosening grease and food build-up smells I always recommend pouring bleach in the disposal unit and letting it set overnight. Next morning flust it out with hot water, cut a lemon into quarters and run it through. Smell better Now? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage Disposal question [ 2 Answers ]

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. When I flip the switch there is a humming noise so I know that it is getting power but it won't turn. I used the hex wrench & I also used a short handle stick and it spins both ways so there doesn't seem to be blocked but it won't work when I flip the...

Disposal won't drain [ 2 Answers ]

Any suggestions when the disposal won't drain and you've already tried to plunge it?(didn't work) It's a dual sink and the non-disposal side drains properly, so I'm not sure the drain trap is the problem. If I dismantle the drain trap and discover it is not the problem, what next? Thanks in...

Disposal question [ 10 Answers ]

I had a plumber install my garbage disposal because he was doing other work anyway. Sometimes when we put put in the disposal, the food shoots through the pipe and into the other sink creating a huge mess. I uploaded a picture of how he installed it. Looking at other disposals, it seems that the...

Garbage disposal [ 5 Answers ]

I had a garbage disposal installed in my kitchen by a plumber. Sometime when we put garbage in and turn it on it shoots out the other drain and comes up into the other sink basin. My guess is that too much garbage is being put inthere at one time and shoots it across. Also, the instructions say to...

What a garbage [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I bought a piece of sh** system from Lighting Universe online store and my w hole transformer burned down along with part of my ceiling. Does anyone have any recommendations for what system to get?

View more questions Search