Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidp90210 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Transparent Materials
    I am a third year student, and in my current project I am looking for an alterative to using glass. I want to use a material that lets as much light through as possible, but can't be seen through. Any help, or links, would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Pratt
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 05:36 AM
    You probably already know that there's not much out there. To get the effect you want, the traditional application is reflective or opaque glass...

I did a Google search for

"glass alternatives" OR "alternatives to glass" AND windows

And found only one alternative referred to: Polycarbonate

Here are some links about it as a glass alternative:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ow&btnG=Search
    a10p123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 07:56 AM
    As Mr.Rickj, Polycorbonate maay be alternate material, but there are some plastic will match your requirement.
    mcfate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Polycarbonate (tradename Lexan) is tougher, but Acrylic plastic (Acrylic glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is more transparent and available in more colors. It comes in 1/8 and 1/4 in thickeness in a range of whites, as well as clear and other colors. Both products should be available at a plastic supplier near you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transparent Animation Over Desktop! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There! Can Anyone Tell Me How Can I Make A Small Animation TRANSPARENTLY Run Over My Desktop? EXAMPLE: "VIRTUA GIRL" No Box Around. No Background Just Opaque Object! Any EASY Software (No C++ Please) Or Any Other Similar Utility? Thank You!

Transparent icons and disable desktop [ 3 Answers ]

:) :) :) Hello experts! Can you help me disable the active desktop and enjoy transparent icon background? I'm referring to Windows xp. Thank you ALL very much! Ahuva :confused:

Transparent background... [ 1 Answers ]

I really having trouble with this, every time I export a photo mostly jpg and bitmap files I can't have a transparent background... then I try this I make a new image with adobe then copy and paste it to corel I can see no background but when I print it a squire size fit to the image appear......

Are these materials legal in NYC? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I know that the New York City local electrical code has some pretty nasty restrictions that most of the USA doesn't (e.g. you still can't use nonmetallic cable and PVC boxes even after all these years - everything has to be either BX or conduit), so I'm wondering if they're just as...

Materials [ 1 Answers ]

What are ceramics?

View more questions Search