Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    So post-menopausal women cannot have sex? Couples deemed infertile cannot have sex?
    Did I say that?

There have been cases of women who have been post menopausal for 40 years who have conceived. And many couples deemed infertile have had children.

The marital embrace, sexual intercourse, is a physical renewal of our vows of love which we proclaim in our marriage ceremony. This physical union is an exchange of life giving love between husband and wife. That is why, in the Catholic Church, sex is between husband and wife and it must be open to life.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26
    but im not catholic im a methodist

my mom is southern baptist lol
    That is why I was careful to clarify my background. I know that there are different interpretations out there.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jun 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
    I don't believe that God intended sex solely for bringing children into the world. He wants us to engage in sex with our spouse to bond and nurture the relationship. God wants sex to be pleasurable and to be fun and I think he's OK with using birth control. Why do you think there are so many emotional feelings you feel when you're done having sex, because it's an emotional and spiritual connection that God allows us to have with our spouse..

As for Twinklets post. No I don't think it's a sin to masterbate.. you're a healthy 26 year old and you're not engaging in permiscious sex with strangers.. you're Mom is psycho.. sorry to say that.. but maybe she is bipolar or something.. all I have to say is I feel bad for you.. pay someone to drive you to the shelter.. do anything you can to get out! She likes the control she has on you.. and you can't let her have it anymore.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 18, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    The Church teaches that any sexual behaviour outside of holy matrimony is a sin because it does not leave open the possibility of conceiving life. We believe that sexual activity is so important that it is set aside for only people who have sworn to be faithful to each other and to God.
    Indeed the RCC does. But the Bible doesn't mention anything that supports that view. Nor does the Bible mention vibrators and their applications, which may be because dry cells still had to be invented at that time !

;)
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by De Maria
    The Church teaches that any sexual behaviour outside of holy matrimony is a sin because it does not leave open the possibility of conceiving life. We believe that sexual activity is so important that it is set aside for only people who have sworn to be faithful to each other and to God.
    I trust this would be Does leave open the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Indeed the RCC does. But the Bible doesn't mention anything that supports that view. Nor does the Bible mention vibrators and their applications, which may be due to the fact that dry cells still had to be invented at that time !
    "I am not Cathotic"
    I trust anyone should be causioned when participating in sexual behaviour for the same reason the RCC enforced their guidelines, in the protection against people hurting one anothers.. . Needless to say, those that are taken advantage of in the result should a child be conceived outside of holy matrimony, can indeed hurt both persons, and the child. And this would indeed be God's written word and commandment which is supporting the viewpoint made by De Maria . (this is not the topic)

The topic of discussion:
    Sexual action with one's self, in my opinion God knew the urge and desire would be as it is.. God created us, and God instituted the necessary cleaning and said to wash. .
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:28 AM
    God gave us the choice to obey him or not. That is mentioned in the very first book of the bible, where adam and eve were given the choice to obey Him or not. The sin leads to consequences.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:29 AM
    So what is the consequence of occasional masturbation?
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:34 AM
    The consequence is her mother's punishment but may vary among different people. Don't forget that God forgives if a proper 'apologize' is given and efforts to never do that sin again.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:51 AM
    The OP is a woman and she's 26 i.e.. An adult.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Ok. Sory sory sory. It's a she, I'll change that. LOL was an error
    shoobedooo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 05:19 AM
    The bible doesn't actually directly say that masturbation is a sin. But the bible does say that sexual fantasies are forbidden. And a sexual fantasy is significantly linked to masturbation, it says so in Matt 5:28-29 Giv.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoobedooo
    But the bible does say that sexual fantasies are forbidden.
    Where does it say that?
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoobedooo
    The bible doesn't actually directly say that masturbation is a sin. But the bible does say that sexual fantasies are forbidden. And a sexual fantasy is significantly linked to masturbation, it says so in Matt 5:28-29 Giv.
    Matthew 5:28-29 Is directly speaking of adultery, that is the sin. Which I will add, does hurt another, which also is a sin. Sexual desire is not a sin..

Subject introduced: Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

KJV Matthew 5-58-29 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

In other words, if you even think of taking what is your neighbor's or hurting, harming, or causing trouble unto another person with your actions. You will be hurting yourself for it is a sin punishable in hell.

Note: Masturbation refers to sexual stimulation, especially of one's own genitals. And animal masturbation has been observed in many species, both in the wild and in captivity
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
    my mom is an uptight prude... she thinks that it's a sin to wear a thong.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
    That's one of the problems living with your family. Lack of privacy. I have a grown son, single man living with us. He's 33, good job, etc. He pays rent to my wife every 2 weeks on his payday. He helps with the cleaning and repairs that are hard for us to do. I would never invade his privacy. If I saw something that was private, I certainly would never comment on it. I think your mother has a hard time with the fact that you are an adult and should get the same respect any other adult in the home is afforded. I wish you well,

Bandit
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay
    Quote:I trust this would be Does leave open the possibility.
    Sorry about that. I can see where that answer was confusing. I guess I was referring to masturbation. It is considered sinful, along with contraceptive sex, because it does not leave open the possibility of life.

Sex outside of marriage is sinful because it is against the will of God.

"I am not Cathotic"
    I trust anyone should be causioned when participating in sexual behaviour for the same reason the RCC enforced their guidelines, in the protection against people hurting one anothers.. . Needless to say, those that are taken advantage of in the result should a child be conceived outside of holy matrimony, can indeed hurt both persons, and the child. And this would indeed be God's written word and commandment which is supporting the viewpoint made by De Maria . (this is not the topic)
    Ok.

[/quote]The topic of discussion:
    Sexual action with one's self, in my opinion God knew the urge and desire would be as it is.. God created us, and God instituted the necessary cleaning and said to wash. . [/QUOTE]

I hope I have explained my Catholic perspective adequately above. To summarise, according to Catholic teaching, it is wrong because it is sex outside of marriage and because it is not open to life.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I guess I was referring to masturbation. It is considered sinful, along with contraceptive sex, because it does not leave open the possibility of life.

Sex outside of marriage is sinful because it is against the will of God.

The verse in Hebrews 13:4 says that marriage is honourable in all, and the undefiled bed. But what will be judged is the soil bed, meaning sexual intercourse whether lawful or unlawful defiled and soiled. And the whoremongers meaning a man who prostitutes his body, and the adulterers... So lawful would be married, but could that include premarital sex to a couple that would be getting married. I don't think we can judge this ourselves.. Yet casual sex would be unlawful, as the soiled bed. That would be my opinion.

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

The topic of discussion : Is masturbation a sin?
    Sexual action with one's self, in my opinion God knew the urge and desire would be as it is.. God created us, and God instituted the necessary cleaning and said to wash. Also again it is known that animals have been seen during masturbation.

I hope I have explained my Catholic perspective adequately above. To summarise, according to Catholic teaching, it is wrong because it is sex outside of marriage and because it is not open to life.
    Sincerely, De Maria
    Yes you have explained it well, and shown that it is the church law that you will follow. It is my opinion, masturbation has not been instituted as God's Law, that would or could be judge in any way as being a soiled bed. And too, I do not believe God has counterdicted His teachings on the spilling of seed (masturbation), and the necessary washing to clean the unclean.

~In Christ... Mark 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jun 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Here are a few paragraphs from the CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH that helps give light to understanding the sin of masturbation.

2351 Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes.

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action. The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose. For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved.
    To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety, or other psychological or social factors that lessen or even extenuate moral culpability.

2519 The "pure in heart" are promised that they will see God face to face and be like him. Purity of heart is the precondition of the vision of God. Even now it enables us to see according to God, to accept others as "neighbors"; it lets us perceive the human body - ours and our neighbor's - as a temple of the Holy Spirit, a manifestation of divine beauty.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 04:36 PM
    What about those Christians who are not Catholic?
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    Here are a few paragraphs from the CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH that helps give light to understanding the sin of masturbation..
    Please understand I will respect the Catholic Church for their Love in Christ. But I do not worship the church, I worship God. The church can set forth their laws, and God would say to do as your authority tells you to do. But the Catholic church is not my authority.. Christ Jesus is my authority. Man made traditions and laws should be veiwed carefully not to hurt those they have pressed them onto. We should all obey and not judge others. And we should obey and love one another.

2351 Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes. .
    There are 9 different meaning of the word lust in the Word of God. How does one isolate their teaching to just one meaning? Romans 1:27 [3715] Romans 7:7 [1939] 1 Cr 10:6 [2556] 1 Th 4:5 [3806 Mat 5:28 [1937] Pro 6:25 [02530] Psa 78:30 [03878] Psa 78:18 [05315]

KJV 1 John 2:15 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action. The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose. For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved.
    To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety, or other psychological or social factors that lessen or even extenuate moral culpability..
    The pastoral action will be that which is set by the Catholic Church. No referance of scripture that clearly could voice the Truth as God has stated in the scriptures concerning the washing of spilled seed... Do You somehow think God didn't say enough?

2519 The "pure in heart" are promised that they will see God face to face and be like him. Purity of heart is the precondition of the vision of God. Even now it enables us to see according to God, to accept others as "neighbors"; it lets us perceive the human body - ours and our neighbor's - as a temple of the Holy Spirit, a manifestation of divine beauty.

KJV Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

KJV 1 Peter1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently.

Obey the truth through the Holy Spirit in unfeigned love meaning sincere love of "God Truth" in Love for one another.

~In Christ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search