Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aadesh Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Deductions for Interns on F1 Visa status.
    Hello All,
    I am an international student working as an intern in Houston TX. It would be a great help if you could inform me what are the taxes that are deductible from my salary. Currently there are 3 types of taxes that are being deducted from my account.
    1) FED W/H.
    2) OASDI FED
    3) Medcare FED.
    When I was working on-campus, only federal withholding was being deducted. I think FED W/H should be deducted from this pay as well but was not sure for the next two. If you have any links from IRS that support this point please send that across to so that it can forward it to the HR dept.

Thank you all!

Regards,
    aadesh.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 11:04 PM
    1. On F1 visa you are exempt for 5-years that is your income is not subject to Social security and Medicare taxes. Also your days in the U.S. are not counted for residency and you must file nonresident tax return.
    For nonresident filing, read
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

2. On your nonresident tax return, you get exemption of $3400 (for 2008) and deduction as per tax treaty. If you are from India, you will get standard deduction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Items #2 and #3 are Social Security and Medicare taxes, respectively.

As MukatA noted, if you were on F-1 visa while working, you are exempt from these taxes. Go back to the employer and ask for a refund (required action before you submit Form 843 to the IRS for a refund of these taxes).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filling status and deductions (non-resident alien) [ 2 Answers ]

I am one more on the list of OPT to H1B (from India) I was on OPT till June 2007 (and less than 5 years on F1, so a non-resident) I re-entered the country on Sept 27, 07 on a H1B (<183 of substantial presence) Thus I was planning to file as a non-resident using the forms 1040NR and 8843...

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

H1B Resident Status deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Last year, I was in dual status (part-OPT, part H1B) and filed a 1040NR-EZ. This year I have become a resident for tax purposes as I have been in H1B throughout 2005. So I have to file 1040/1040EZ. Last year, with 1040NR-EZ, claimed $5000 standard deduction as I am a citizen of India. Can I still...

Status, Required forms and Deductions [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I was a student in Oklahoma from 8/03 to 06/05 and then moved to to Texas 07/05. My OPT began on 5/31/05. My company transferred my status to H1 in mid 11/05. Could you please let me know what forms do I need to fill. Also if you could let me know what deductions are available for me. ...

Deductions for dual-status [ 2 Answers ]

I am using 1040-nr form for filing my taxes. Since I am on h1 from nov. 1, 2004 (before that I was on f1 for 5 years), I cannot take standard deduction. My question is which deductions can I take?? I am indian so can I take $4500 deduction acc. To india treaty? What about itemized deductions?...

View more questions Search