Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Sub Panel Wiring
    I am installing new 60Amp subpanel. I ran #6 ( romex type ), copper stranded cable to it from main panel. The cable has 4 wires: 1 black, 1 red, 1 white, 1 green. . My question relates to connecting this cable to this new sub panel.

There is no place to connect green wire. How / Where do I connect it ? Do I have to install 1/2 grounding copper rod at the new sub panel ?

Please, answer in plain terms. Thank you !

Milo Dolezal
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
    There is a bonding screw or strap that came with this sub-panel. DO NOT use or install it.

You need to get an add on ground bar for this panel. The green wire goes to that bar.
    The white wire goes on the existing bar(s) that came pre-installed in this panel.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Ground rod is only necessary if location is in a detached structure such as a garage.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Milo Dolezal - What you need to do is to talk to your elect co , one of their engineers will give you (WHAT THE ELECTRICAL CODE is for your locality. ) AND this is what you will have to go by, The codes all differ from one place to another. :: Good Luck AND GOD BLESS. BY the way " they both gave you some good answers. But believe me , do what I wrote above :: F.B.E.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Installed, Inspected, Signed Off ! Thanks !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring from my house panel to my pole barn panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be wiring my pole barn up soon and just need some help on the type of wire to use. In my house I have a 200 AMP service and plan on running a 100 AMP feeder from that panel to my subpanel in the barn. (Just under 100 Feet) I am going to run a 6 gauge ground, two 4 gauge...

Sub Panel Wiring [ 20 Answers ]

I'm running power to a new shop which is about 125 feet from the house. I would like to have 75 amp service at the shop. The service at my house is 200 amps and there is space in the panel for an additional breaker. I also have a separate 200 amp switch located next to the main panel that is used...

Wiring to sub-panel. [ 1 Answers ]

Will this work properly if when wiring a sub-panel for 240v can one of the 3 aluminum 4 gauge wires in the pvc underground pipe be used as the neutral wire if that wire is bare? I intend to attach the ground bus at the sub-panel to a ground rod using 6 gauge bare copper wire.

Sub panel wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker in my subpanel box to be used by a hot tub. I noticed that the breaker has a post for the neutral wire load. Is it necessary to use this post or can my load neutral wire be connected to the neutral bus (same as breaker pigtail and supply neutral)?

Sub panel 40 amp wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side....

View more questions Search