Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eebesoss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Variable Speed vs. Single Speed Blower
    Questions:

Getting 2 new heat pump systems installed. 1.5 ton upstairs and 4 ton downstairs. Decided on Comfortmaker. Heat Load calc performed on sizes.

Going 2 stage with variable speed downstairs with Honeywell IQ Pro stat. Was going to go one stage with variable speed upstairs with Honeywell as well for comfort until a tech commented to not spend the extra money on variable speed for upstairs as there isn't enough ductwork to benefit. The square footage upstairs is about 450. There are 3 registers-2 are sized 10x12 and other 6x8 I believe. Planning on adding another register blowing down stairs. Aware I would lose a seer going to single speed. Would there not be any benefit to variable speed on a short duct run about 25' as tech commented? Seems to me that standard higher blower speed would result in temp setting reached faster leading to more humidity? And compressor cycling faster. I'm in Texas BTW. Any comments would be appreciated?

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eebesoss
    Questions:

Getting 2 new heat pump systems installed. 1.5 ton upstairs and 4 ton downstairs. Decided on Comfortmaker. Heat Load calc performed on sizes.

Going 2 stage with variable speed downstairs with Honeywell IQ Pro stat. Was going to go one stage with variable speed upstairs with Honeywell as well for comfort until a tech commented to not spend the extra money on variable speed for upstairs as there isn't enough ductwork to benefit. The square footage upstairs is about 450. There are 3 registers-2 are sized 10x12 and other 6x8 I believe. Planning on adding another register blowing down stairs. Aware I would lose a seer going to single speed. Would there not be any benefit to variable speed on a short duct run about 25' as tech commented? Seems to me that standard higher blower speed would result in temp setting reached faster leading to more humidity? And compressor cycling faster. I'm in Texas BTW. Any comments would be appreciated?

Thnx

Get a good extended warranty. When that variable speed motor or controller go bad it will cost BIG bucks. If you are worried about humidity use this design.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrofit variable speed fan motor into air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have separate independent heating and cooling systems: oil-fired HW baseboard heat and central air. I presently close off the AC vents in the winter to avoid downdraft from the attic-based ducting system (whole AC distribution is in attic). I've heard that it would improve efficiency and...

Can you upgrade a single speed blower to multispeed? [ 1 Answers ]

To improve circulation and maintain a more uniform temp in the house I'd like to swap out the single speed fan and put in a 2 or even 3 speed fan. Would this be a big project to get the fan to work properly? Would the current control board work? The unit ia a tempstar if that makes a difference

Thermostat: variable speed blower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a 2-stage, variable speed Amana furnace installed... but they left the original (single-stage) thermostat. I'm now thinking that I'm not getting the advantages from the variable speed blower.. Can anyone suggest a thermostat for my installation?

Replace air handler with variable speed [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I can replace a standard air handler on a 5 ton system with a variable speed air handler without replacing the outside unit. The electronics on the air handler will be different but does the compressor work full time or not.

Prob. Variable Speed Air handler [ 2 Answers ]

A Trane XL14i heat pump was installed 6/8/05. The variable speed air handler fan only runs at full speed or off, but not slow when demand is low. The dealer's tech has replaced 2 electronic modules, to no avail. He can't seem get expert advice from Trane. I would greatly appreciate any advise to...

View more questions Search