Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwinden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
    401K penalties

What is the pentaly for taking out money from a 401K to reinvest in a rental property (real estate)?
    melissakreed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
    House purchasing is suppose to tax free. Just looked into it with my 401k. You should however check with your investment advisor. Good luck.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 01:22 AM
    Check with your 401(k) plan administrator if they allow self-directed 401(k). With self-directed 401(k) you take your own investment decisions. Section 408 of the Internal Revenue Code permits individuals to use a self-directed retirement plan to purchase land, commercial property, condominiums, residential property, mortgages, trust deeds, real estate contracts or private placements and many other types of investments. However, you can not use the property for personal use or for the use of relatives.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans
    lwelch Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Aug 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Check with your 401(k) plan administrator if they allow self-directed 401(k). With self-directed 401(k) you take your own investment decisions. Section 408 of the Internal Revenue Code permits individuals to use a self-directed retirement plan to purchase land, commercial property, condominiums, residential property, mortgages, trust deeds, real estate contracts or private placements and many other types of investments. However, you can not use the property for personal use or for the use of relatives.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans
    I have not heard of self-directed 401(k) that allows individuals to invest in real property (other than a REIT). I plan to research this because it could be a very valuable finanical planning tool. I have always told my clients that they are only allowed to take a $10,000 penalty free distribution from a 401k for the purchase of their first home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
    First not all plans permit inservce withdrawals. Some only permit hardship withdrawals. Second, IRAS allow you to take money out penalty free for 1st home purchase byt 401Ks do not.

Some 401Ks do permit selef directed investment. But I don't think a direct real estate purchase, even for investment purposes would qualify.

Therefore, you would pay the 10% penalty, plus add the amount to taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K penalties? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 401K worth roughly 30K, but I am interested in cashing it in to assist in the down payment of purchasing a house. What kind of penalties/taxes might I encounter and is this a really dumb idea? The other part of the money would come from selling stock, which I know there will be a...

401k penalties [ 6 Answers ]

I cashed in my 401K. I had them take out 35%. Should this cover all taxes? I live in Alabama. Or am I still going to owe more when I file? The 35% covers the penaty also.

401k penalties [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is switching jobs and we do not know which route to take for his 401k He has 30,000.00 in 401k Do we roll it into a cd or ira ?If so can we withdrawl out of the cd or ira without paying federal or state income taxes on it or should we just withdraw it straight out of the 401k. We...

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I recently left a temp job (2 years) and have about 25k in the 401k. While I know that the smart move is to roll the 401k into an IRA, I could actually use the money for some home expenses. I am in the 28% tax bracket. How much of the 25k could I expect to see after taxes/penalties?

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

View more questions Search