Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eneith Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Insert a disk into drive D
    I recently purchaced a computer game called the Sims 2 Double Deluxe. I put the disk into the top drive (D). The game instructions said that it should lead you to the Autorun menu and then you can continue with the installation. However that menu did not come up. I then did what it told me to do in the game instructions by left clicking start and then clicking on the RUN button. It told me to enter D:\Autorun and press OK. I did that and then it said Please insert a disk into drive D. I cannot figure out the problem. When I put in a music CD it plays it and one of my other computer games works but this will not. I had this trouble with another sims game but it installs other games. Please help!!

Thanks,
    Erica
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Make sure disk is not scratched and clean

In windows explorer, go to the d drive and manually click on the Autorun to see if the installation will start

Jun 15, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    make sure disk is not scratched and clean

in windows explorer, go to the d drive and manually click on the Autorun to see if the installation will start
    The game is brand new I just bought it two days ago so it is free of scratches and is clean. In the book it told me if the installation did not start to click on the start button and go to run and type in D:\Autorun and that told me Please insert a disk into drive D. so I don't know what to do. What exactly do you mean "in windows explorer"? Go to the d drive and manually click on the autorun?

Jun 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eneith
    the game is brand new i just bought it two days ago so it is free of scratches and is clean. in the book it told me if the installation did not start to click on the start button and go to run and type in D:\Autorun and that told me Please insert a disk into drive D. so i dont know what to do. what exactly do u mean "in windows explorer"? go to the d drive and manually click on the autorun?
    OK I found out what you are talking about and I went to windows explorer and I clicked on drive d which was on the left hand side and it said please insert a disk into drive d. it was the same error message as when I tried clicking on RUN and then typing in D:\Autorun. Do you happen to have any other suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Apparently your system cannot read the cd for some reason, is this the only disc that your system cannot read? Just a thought, is it possible you bought a Mac version and not one for windows?

Depending on where you bought the cd, see if you can exchange it and if it is a "computer store" see if they can get the cd to start in one of their systems?

Jun 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
    apparently your system cannot read the cd for some reason, is this the only disc that your system cannot read? Just a thought, is it possible you bought a Mac version and not one for windows?

Depending on where you bought the cd, see if you can exchange it and if it is a "computer store" see if they can get the cd to start in one of their systems?
    No my computer system accepts other games I had another Sims game and it worked fine and then one day I went to go play it and it said the same message, "Please insert a disk into drive D". I just bought this game at Wal-Mart and I am pretty sure that it is not a game for Mac. How do you know if it is for a Mac or for Windows?
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
    So it's not only the new sims you have but previous working ones too?

Try a registry cleaner/optimizer, this may help

Ccleaner
    Download CCleaner 2.08.588 - FileHippo.com
    On the right hand side, click download latest version

See if this helps

Jun 16, 2008, 01:32 PM
    so it's not only the new sims you have but previous working ones too?

try a registry cleaner/optimizer, this may help

ccleaner
    Download CCleaner 2.08.588 - FileHippo.com
    on the right hand side, click download latest version

see if this helps
    Yes there was a previous one that I got for christmas a couple years ago and it worked fine for like a month and then it said "Please insert disk into disk drive D" and now I cannot download the new game. Like I said before, I have two other computer games that I play and they work fine just not the sims ones. My computer has two disk drives is there anyway that I can make it install on the bottom drive? I tried the regestry cleaner and it did not make my game install.

Jun 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eneith
    yes there was a previous one that i got for christmas a couple years ago and it worked fine for like a month and then it said "Please insert disk into disk drive D" and now i cannot download the new game. like i said before, i have two other computer games that i play and they work fine just not the sims ones. my computer has two disk drives is there anyway that i can make it install on the bottom drive? i tried the regestry cleaner and it did not make my game install.
    OK I have some news that might help you to figure out my problem. I was reading something on this sight that someone was having the same trouble as me and there was a response that said this... ""Try removing the device/drive from Device Manager. To do this go into Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Device Manager then highlight or expand the device or drive you are having trouble with, RIGHT CLICK that item and select Uninstall. Then reboot and let your pc reinstall the drive itself. This worked for me. The other thing you could try is to shutdown and power off your pc, physically reset the drive if it a laptop or reset connections to the drive inside the case the try powering back on. Or drive is froze up / bad."" So i did that and it reinstalled my disk drives. anyway that did not work but i told u before that i have another game that i installed a couple months ago called "Luxor Mahjong" anyway i put that disk in and my computer never automatically starts the game, you have to click on the icon on the desktop, so i went to my computer and clicked on the D drive and it said "Please insert a disk into drive D" but the game works because when you click on the icon on the desktop the game plays. So is there something wrong with and installation program that could possibly be not working properly. Like I said my other game works but it is installed. I just need to get this sims game installed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
    It seems you are not the only one having issues with getting sims installed, many links on web about it

How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows XP)
    Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + "e" key.
    Right-click the desired CD-ROM and select Properties from the menu.
    Select the AutoPlay tab.
    Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.
    Select OK.
    Found a little info

Check your hardware
    This tool is handy as it gives you an indicator as to if the Sims 2 will run at all on your PC. Keep in mind that even if it says you are OK, does not mean that the game run wonderfully.

Download the Checker Tool here http://sims.servopro.com/downloads/d...TS2SysReqc.zip

Check this link for info and read carefully and see what comes up, hopefully this may help as well
    Q108322: Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines

See if any of above helps out

Jun 16, 2008, 09:09 PM
    It seems you are not the only one having issues with getting sims installed, many links on web about it

found a little info

Check your hardware
    This tool is handy as it gives you an indicator as to if the Sims 2 will run at all on your PC. Keep in mind that even if it says u r ok, does not mean that the game run wonderfully.

Download the Checker Tool here http://sims.servopro.com/downloads/d...TS2SysReqc.zip

Check this link for info and read carefully and see what comes up, hopefully this may help as well
    Q108322: Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines

See if any of above helps out
    OK I tried the first thing you told me to do by checking the hardware to tell if the Sims 2 will run on my PC and the website will not load it says Internal Service Error. Then I checked the second thing you said with the install shield and it asks you to select the file version of my current install shield and I have a 5.50 version and the website does not give me an option with a 5.50 version. I am going to look on the web for other people with this same problem too see if they found anything to fix the problem. Please help me out with if you know why that website will not work or why that install shield does not have my 5.50 file version option.

Jun 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Do you know if there is anyway that I can download the game from the E drive instead of D?

Jun 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Or would it work better if I exchanged it for a version that does not include a DVD?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Does your computer have a DVD Drive? Not all CD drives read DVDs. In fact, most of them don't unless they say DVD on the front of the drive.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
    I get the same error message on that link?

Have you tried the other drive you have to see if that would work?

Looking through the installer site, I don't think that would be your issue here.

Still looking

Here is a link with a link to contact tech support for sims 2
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p_sid=Y5icau6j
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 11:47 PM
    A couple of things pop out at me.

1) Open up My Computer and list off for us everything you see listed there. Give the drive letters and the name that follows. List everything under Hard Drives and Drives with Removable Storage.

2) The CD ROM on my wife's computer has developed a similar problem in only being able to recognize and read half the disks I put in there. I'll replace it someday soon, just thought it worth mentioning that the drive might be on its last legs no matter what you do.

Jun 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Does your computer have a DVD Drive? Not all CD drives read DVDs. In fact, most of them don't unless they say DVD on the front of the drive.
    Yes my computer does have a DVD Drive. That is the one that I have been trying to install the game on and it keeps saying please insert disk into drive D.

Jun 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I get the same error message on that link??

have you tried the other drive you have to see if that would work?

looking through the installer site, I don't think that would be your issue here.

still looking

here is a link with a link to contact tech support for sims 2
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p_sid=Y5icau6j
    Yes I tryied the bottom drive which would be drive E... right?? It does not automatically load the game installer and then when I go to RUN and type in the same thing I did before (D:\Autorun) except change the D to an E it says please insert disk into drive E. I will check into the tech support site. I already tried contacting them via e-mail and they didn't have anything that helped.

Jun 17, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    A couple of things pop out at me.

1) Open up My Computer and list off for us everything you see listed there. Give the drive letters and the name that follows. List everything under Hard Drives and Drives with Removable Storage.

2) The CD ROM on my wife's computer has developed a similar problem in only being able to recognize and read half the disks I put in there. I'll replace it someday soon, just thought it worth mentioning that the drive might be on its last legs no matter what you do.
    OK everything that is in My Computer is the following...

3 1/2 Floppy (A:)
    Local Disk (C:)
    DVD Drive (D:)
    CD-RW Drive (E:)
    Shared Documents
    My Sharing Folders

That is everything under my computer. I am not sure what u want me to list when u say "list everything under hard drives and drives with removable storage" where do u locate those??
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Well, it should work with either d: or e:

Don't know on this one, it is not seeing the disk in your drive, I take it other cd don't have a problem with being read in the drives? If other disks can be read, it would have to be something with the cd. Do you have access to another computer, see if another PC can read or detect the disc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please insert a disk into drive D: [ 4 Answers ]

Why do I keep getting 'Please insert a disk into drive D' when I've inserted the disk already and try to open my it? Will I ever be able to view the contents ever again?:mad:

Please insert disk into drive A [ 7 Answers ]

I took my computer apart and put it back together since I installed a cd burner. However I'm having issues with my floppy. At first the light was staying on because I had the cable reversed. I changed the cable and made sure pin1 was aligned with the red stripe. Win2k sees the floppy drive but...

To insert disk into the drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new 1G sony VAIO pen drive. When I click on "my computer" and see that there is a "removable disk" folder (e.g. the pen drive has been drive). But when I click on the removable drive, I was asked "Please insert a disk to the drive". I cannot format the removable either. Please...

Please insert a disk into Drive D [ 4 Answers ]

My DVD+-R/RW drives do not recognize any Disks. I have tried these drives in anoher computer and They work fine. I keep getting the "Please insert a disk into drive D:," error when I use them in this Computer. I have already tried using differnet disks. Last time I remember burning a DVD...

Please insert disk into drive A [ 4 Answers ]

I took my computer apart and put it back together since I installed a cd burner. However I'm having issues with my floppy. At first the light was staying on because I had the cable reversed. I changed the cable and made sure pin1 was aligned with the red stripe. Win2k sees the floppy drive but...

View more questions Search