Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Vent pipe clogged?
    My first floor bathroom sink drains through vertically down and then through a sloping pipe and then into a septic system. The sink drains very slowly. The other sinks and two showers in the house are OK. I first thought the sink line was clogged, but I have opened and cleaned out the line and also, when I use a small sink-size plunger in this sink and get the water moving it then drains well. I can even add more water while the sink is draining and it still drains well. However, a while after the sink has drained, it is slow again. When the last of the water leaves the sink there is a gurgling sound from the trap at about 2 gigrles per second, and the rate slowly decreases until it stops.

It seems to me that the vent, which is perhaps 6 feet down the sloping pipe may be clogged and has created an air trap in front of the waste weater. That would explain why the water drains well after I have started it moving and also why the sink trap gurgles as the last of the water drains from the sloping pipe - it is pulling air through the trap.

Does this make sense? How do I get rid of the air trap?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Very good Robert, Go to the head of the class. You have analized your problem every bit as good as I could. You indeed have a clogged vent. The sound you hear is the trap venting. The answer, of course, is to snake out the vent. Don't forget to wash it down good or the clog might end up in the sinks drain line. Good luck, Tom
    vroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Very good Robert, Go to the head of the class. You have analized your problem every bit as good as I could. You indeed have a clogged vent. The sound you hear is the trap venting. The answer, of course, is to snake out the vent. Don't forget to wash it down good or the clog might end up in the sinks drain line. good luck, Tom
    Thanks for the confirmation. Now I just have to figure out how to get up on the rooof so I can clean out the vent :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C drainage pipe clogged [ 5 Answers ]

The pipe that my ac condensation goes to keeps over filling if the AC is on for a certain amount of time. I assume it is clogged, can I just use a liquid to clean this, thanks.

Washing Machine Drain Pipe clogged [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe for a washing machine that is clogged. We have tried using a garden hose with a bladder that causes it to shoot high powered water down the pipe but to no avail. Also we tried the sulferic acid concentrate with no luck. Right now we have the drain hose just hanging inside the...

Drain Pipe Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We have had trouble with the water emptying completely out of our washing machine. The drain hose goes to a drain pipe behind the washer. We discovered today the the drain pipe itself is partially blocked. We used both a Snake-It auger & commercial strength Drain Out crystals to unblock it but to...

Clogged laundry basin, overflow pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've had problems with laundry sink(basement) we have the washer draining in it and it's overflowed several times. I tried to snake the overflow pipe but I believe there is a solid dirt plug, my guess is maybe tree roots or something. Also there is limited working space because of cabinets...

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

View more questions Search