Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2009, 10:21 AM

Was your employer also served? It is illegal for your employer to not process a court ordered garnishment.

What will probably happen is a new garnishment order will be issued for the original amount Plus an amount to pay off the arrears.

Now my question to you is why you let it go this far? Why haven't you been paying?
    msir Posts: 78, Reputation: -2

Feb 3, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Was your employer also served? it is illegal for your employer to not process a court ordered garnishment.

What will probably happen is a new garnishment order will be issued for the original amount Plus an amount to pay off the arrears.

Now my question to you is why you let it go this far? Why haven't you been paying?
    Yes, according to CSE, they have been issued the garnishmen order 4 times. My ex is threatening to file for contempt on the job for not honoring the order. Can she really do that?

So my montly amount goes up? I am already paying over 700/month. With my perosnal bills and child support for my older child, I simply can't afford it. About how much more will it go up. Is economic hardship enough to modify for a lower support?

Its my employers job to garnish but they didn't. I now know I was supposed to pay until they garnished, but I am struggling to make a living.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

If you truly can't afford the amount of support, you can request to have it lowered. However, it has to be due to actual economic hardship; you can't be driving a brand-new car and living in a mansion, then claim that you can't afford the ordered amount of support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 11:59 AM

At least in TN and GA, if a company is served, and don't pay, they can be sued and held liable for all the money they were suppose to take out by the person asking for the garnishment.
    ** if of course you are a real employee, not a 1099 worker.

And in some states, like TN and GA, if you are that many months behind, yes, men often get sent to jail for a few weeks for non payment of child support, but that varies.

If it was not being garnished and you knew it was to be garnished why did you not just send them a check each week??

And of course now, they are going to order so much current payment and so much back payment, so now you will be paying more per week

Feb 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    If you truly can't afford the amount of support, you can request to have it lowered. However, it has to be due to actual economic hardship; you can't be driving a brand-new car and living in a mansion, then claim that you can't afford the ordered amount of support.
    Actually, I did get a new/used car around December. This was necessary because I have a long commute to work and I was driving a lemon on its last leg before.

I am concerned about going to jail. There is no way I keep a roof over my head and pay this insane amount. According to recent letters form CSE, they have reported me to the credit companies, and have threatened to suspend my licence in 30 days if no payment is received.

I have an out of state license. Can they still suspend it if they only referred me to the state DMV?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 12:35 PM

Your license will be suspended in the State in which it was issued. Obviously no one can suspend a license you don't have.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 01:05 PM

If you have lived in your current state for over 30 days and are not in college or the military, your current license is invalid anyway by your state law.
    But yes they will find it and suspend it

Feb 3, 2009, 01:35 PM

And how would I be able to pick up my child?
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by msir View Post
    And how would I be able to pick up my child?

Either the child would be dropped off and picked up or you would take a bus and/or cab or a relative or friend would drive you.

Happens all the time.

In fact, if you're jailed for contempt you won't even have to worry about it.

Just for the heck of it - what model and year car did you buy, being unable to pay child support and all.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:59 PM

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I don't think you understand the situation here. You were ordered to pay X amount of dollars in child support; you neglected to do so. If your employer wasn't sending it in, you should have noticed that it wasn't coming out of your paycheck. You chose not to, and now you're trying to say that the amount is too much. Why didn't you contest it when it was ordered back in October?

The courts aren't going to play around; you have a child and you need to support it. They will suspend your license, put you in jail, etc. until you get current. And if something like that were to happen, it's going to put you even further behind than you are now. They don't want to hear that you needed a new car, or that you need your driver's license, or any other reason. The bottom line is that they want you to pay, and they'll do everything in their power to make sure that you do.

Feb 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Why is the year and make of my car so important. Its much better than the one I had before. I have to drive 45 min, even longer in traffic to get tot work
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
    why is the year and make of my car so important. Its much better than the one I had before. I have to drive 45 min, even longer in traffic to get tot work

It's only important because you say you can't afford to support your child, yet you were able to buy a car, which you won't be able to drive once your driver's license is suspended.

You brought up the subject. I did not and you still haven't answered.

Feb 3, 2009, 08:05 PM

What I don't understand is what you have been doing since October. You knew you had to pay, yet you did nothing to do so.

And I also don't understand your employer. What possible grounds did they have to not deduct the support.

I don't think you will be going to jail, though may have to spend weekends in jail. If you are in jail you can't support your child. But you could have your license suspended and other sanctions.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Feb 5, 2009, 02:01 AM

These people are asking these questions because the judge will also take it into consideration if you contest the amount of child support you are paying. The amount awarded usually reflects the amount of money you earn, & that is quite a lot of money for one child.
    We are all saying that you knew you were supposed to pay--by court order. It is your child. Why would you not want to? Then when it hits you in the face you claim it was your employer's fault? No matter, what's done is done, and you have to pay. Don't let your children grow up thinking their daddy is a loser. No matter what happened with the ex, make them part of your life. They need you, both financially and emotionally.
    Talk to a lawyer. Maybe one could get you out of hot water--for a price.If you truly think you are paying too much child support think of how much you would be spending if they lived with you! Would you still have the same lifestyle?

Feb 5, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'm going to talk to my payroll. I'v submitted half the payment from this pay and will submit the other half if there is no garnishment next pay, ill send one in. My hearing is at the end of March, so with me paying consitently by that time, what will happen?

Feb 5, 2009, 01:27 PM

If you show that you have been making payments and paying the arrears, then the contempt charges against you should be dismissed.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you show that you have been making payments and paying the arrears, then the contempt charges against you should be dismissed.

Not that Scott needs me to agree, but I agree with Scott - :)
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Feb 5, 2009, 06:20 PM

You're on the right track.
    You also need to make up any back due support. You can make arrangements.
    Now I'm sure your 9 year old would really be thrilled to at least have some kind of contact from you, perhaps something tangible. A letter would be perfect. She can read it over and over again and no doubt will.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
    I have to go to a hearing because OCSE filed contempt for nonpayment against me. What will happen at that hearing? Will I be sent to jail.
    Contempts are treated like criminal cases.

The first hearing is an arraignment. You are told what's going on and asked to enter a plea-- guilty or not guilty. If not guilty you are set for a pre-trial hearing and later trial.

You have a right to a trial (non-jury because of the maximum jail time isn't enough to require a jury) and a public defender because jail time is a possibility. You can't be sent to jail right off the bat because you have due process rights. So don't worry about that.

Defenses are many. If the contempt has to do with non-payment of support, inability to pay is the most common defense. You have all the same rights as a criminal defendant (not to be called as a witness, etc).

Mar 24, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Need clarification of visitation schedule
    Here is the schedule in the order:

In 2009 mom gets easter and school vacation. Mom informed me of the upcoming easter spring break saying the dates of the official spring break. Thedates she gave are those in her county for public schools. I have a midweek visit with the child that week. She told me her spring break trumps my visit that week. I told her that my visit still stands since the order did not give specific dates for spring break. My son is in daycare and I don't think school vacation should apply since the daycare doesn't have one. But she says the order specifically givers her a 2009 spring break.

Also, it says that on the child's b-day each parent has reasonable time with the child. I told her that since she had him last year (when only a temp CO was in place, no specifics) I should get him this year. His b-day is on a weekend day. She is not budging and only offering me a four hour period based on the available times she has given after making her b-day plans. She says that that's reasonable particularly since its on her weekend time. She said he is to be returned by 8 to get him ready for bed since the next day is a Monday. She told me to call her because she didn't like emailing and that I needed to do it before the child's b-day which is next week. I don't like talking to her. Her reasoning is that she does not like the back and forth emailing when it can be resolved in one conversation, and she also can't confirm that I am actually writing and sending the emails.

What can I do here. Is she right about the easter? Also, what about the b-day. Do I not get to have him all day on his b-day? Is four hours reasonable on a Sunday?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custody battle for the mother [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who got pregnant almost 4 years ago. The father and her did not get along and so were not together when the baby was born. The father's name was never put on the birth certificate. The father did pay child support. The father stayed out of the child's life for about 2 years...

Custody for unwed mother in California? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello - My ex and I split up 3 months ago and he hasn't made any attempts to see our 2 year old daughter. Nor has he supported her financially at all. The few times I've asked for help he's told me to go to child support if I want help. He has no car, no license because of 2 DUI's - it will take...

Full Custody To Mother [ 4 Answers ]

What rights do I have as a full parent to my son? If the father of my son wants to take him to another state to spend time with him what do I do to prevent that from happening because I want to have monitored visits and since we live in different states, how do I prevent my sons father from taking...

Irresponsible Mother: Any Of This Look Like I Can Get More Custody? [ 16 Answers ]

I live in California... I was married for 4 years. During that time, my wife and I had two children (they're now 2 and 4 years old). I filed for divorce from her right at our 4 year anniversary and the divorce was final 6 months later. We agreed on joint legal custody and that she would have...

Arranging Sole Custody for a Mother [ 2 Answers ]

If a mother is fearful of her son's father (who is on parole in another state for first degree murder and arson), how can she gain sole custody in Virginia without exposing herself to his potential harm of her?

View more questions Search