Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:53 AM
    I guess it is the state of California issuing marriage licenses to homosexuals that have stirred up recent threads. I was watching the news last night and they showed a couple going in a courthouse (in San Francisco, I suppose). A female protestor screamed at them "God Hates You!" It would have been comical if it hadn't been so pathetic. These kind of Christians end up defeating their own cause.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Emland that is sooo funny. I bet her pastor is real proud of her.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Jun 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Emland that is sooo funny. I bet her pastor is real proud of her.
    Quite the contrary.. The Bible does not teach that Homosexualy is any more sinful than fornication, stealing, adultery or any othere sin. Therefore a Homosexual's sin is not special. The Bible teaches us to love ALL people inculding homos. :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Sassy, I hope you're one of those people that also believes that birth control is bad (no spilling your seed on the ground), polygamy is okay (Didn't Jacob have two wives?), incest is okay (Lot's daughters seduced him and were not struck down by god, even though Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt for just looking over her shoulder), stoning women for being unfaithful is okay, etc etc etc.

If the whole Bible is the word of Jesus because it's the word of God, well.. then I bet YOU don't obey a lot a rules in the Bible that are JUST as important as not being homosexual.

So... stop throwing stones until you get rid of your own sin.

Jun 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
    [
    QUOTE=Synnen]Sassy, I hope you're one of those people that also believes that birth control is bad (no spilling your seed on the ground),
    no.. I am not i think birth control is great! Nothing wrong with it.

polygamy is okay (Didn't Jacob have two wives?)
    Polygamy according to my beliefs is not okay. Just because the Bible says Jacob had two wives does not mean God condoned it. The Bible is a story about a perfect God working with and through imperfect people.
    The bible also says Noah got drunk, so does that mean the Bible condones getting drunk. Certainly not.

, incest is okay (Lot's daughters seduced him and were not struck down by god, even though Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt for just looking over her shoulder), stoning women for being unfaithful is okay, etc etc etc.
    Again, just because the Bible describes historical events of the sinful nature of man does not mean that it is in anyway trying to promote such behavior. Yes the Bible does say there were a group a men that wanted to stone a woman caught in adulterey, however it goes on to say that Jesus(GOD) said to those men "let he that is without sin cast the first stone" signifying that behavior was not acceptable. So please don't just take a few excerpts from the bible, convieniently taken out of context, to further propagate your false views.

If the whole Bible is the word of Jesus because it's the word of God, well.. then I bet YOU don't obey a lot a rules in the Bible that are JUST as important as not being homosexual.
    Yes you are right! I am just as Guilty... i am not perfect and my sin is not any better than that of a Homosexual and that is what i said in my previous post so i don't know what you are breaking my bals about... :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    i dont know what you are breaking my balls about..
    You have balls?
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 12:52 PM
    The difference, Sassy, is that homosexuals are not trying to make YOU live according to THEIR religion.

But... that's a different topic.

THIS topic is about where the Bible states that homosexuality is wrong, and I believe I've gotten several great answers about that.

Jun 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    The difference, Sassy, is that homosexuals are not trying to make YOU live according to THEIR religion.
    Synnen, can you answer this question for me please, just yes or no

Do you think people should be allowed to marry their dog/pet?
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
    No, I don't.

But the REASON I don't think that is because the dog/pet can't CONSENT.

You really just don't get that point, do you?

Jun 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT

Synnen, can you answer this question for me plse, just yes or no

do you think people should be allowed to marry thier dog/pet?
    No, I don't.
    So... you don't think a person should be allowed to marry their dog... Is that because your religion says so?
    no.. I didn't think so, so I don't see why you (and other supporters of gay marriage) have been accusing me of imposing my "religious" beliefs on the matter. I told you before, I don't support gay marriage, not because of my religion but just because I don't see it as something that should be considered valid in the same way you don't think people marrying animals should be valid, independent of your religious beliefs.
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Sassy... again... THIS thread is not for that discussion.

Take it back to the other thread.

I was looking for concrete information in this thread, and since it's MY question, I will just close it if you persist.

Take this discussion to your OWN thread if you want to play like that. I'm NOT pulling THIS thread off-topic.

Jun 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Sassy...again...THIS thread is not for that discussion.

Take it back to the other thread.

I was looking for concrete information in this thread, and since it's MY question, I will just close it if you persist.

Take this discussion to your OWN thread if you want to play like that. I'm NOT pulling THIS thread off-topic.
    Okey...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Sassy, I hope you're one of those people that also believes that birth control is bad (no spilling your seed on the ground), polygamy is okay (Didn't Jacob have two wives?), incest is okay (Lot's daughters seduced him and were not struck down by god, even though Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt for just looking over her shoulder), stoning women for being unfaithful is okay, etc etc etc.

So...stop throwing stones until you get rid of your own sin.
    You are very out of line and also off subject, first there is a differnece between things being told and things being right in the bible and you know that difference, so you are saying untrue things trying to make a unrealistic point.

1. actual birth control is not really mentioned in the bible, masturbation is but is more addressed as to following a command than the actual act.
    2. yes, the bible does not say anything about pural marriage being wrong expect for church leaders. So no christian can use the bible to say anything against pural marriage. I personally think a man would be crazy one is too many some days.
    3. What jacobs daughters did was wrong, it was shown as wrong when they did it, a lot of the Old testement is the history of the Hewbrew people along with there relationship with God, So the bad and evil men do is often shown, to show that God will forgive them for their sins.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Jun 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Synnen-

I did a lot of reading back when I was Christian and struggling with my sexuality. After a lot of research regarding the original language in which the Bible was written, how things were translated, the context of different verses which are used to condemn homosexuality... it really had me questioning the validity of the verses used against us.

I'll look for some of the websites and post links here if I can find them.

Here's a basic list of some info from Dignity.com, a GLBT Catholic website. But I think I can find you more, if you want. Just let me know.

-The story of Sodom in Genesis 19 is about offense against the sacred duty of hospitality. That is how Ezekiel 16:48-49 and Wisdom 9:13-14 interpret this text. The attempted male rape only heightens the atrocity of this offense.

-Leviticus 18:22 does forbid male-male sex as an "abomination." But the word simply means an impurity or a religious taboo — like eating pork. As in the case of Catholics who used to be forbidden under pain of mortal sin to eat meat on Friday, the offense was not in the act itself but in the betrayal of one's religion. The ancient Jews were to avoid practices common among the unclean Gentiles.

-Romans 1:27 mentions men having relations with men. But the terms used to describe them are "dishonorable" and "shameless." These refer deliberately to social disapproval, not to ethical condemnation. Moreover, according to Paul's usage, different from the prevalent Stoic philosophy of the day, para physin ("unnatural") would best be translated "atypical" or "beyond the ordinary." So it bears no reference to natural law. And it can imply no ethical condemnation because in Romans 11:24 God is said to act para physin. Paul sees gay sex as an impurity (see Rm. 1:24), just like uncircumcision or eating forbidden foods. He mentions it to make the main point of his letter, that purity requirements of the Jewish Law are not relevant in Christ Jesus. See L. William Countryman, Dirt, Greed, and Sex.

-1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and 1 Timothy 1:8-10 list arsenokoitai among those who will be excluded from the Reign of God. This obscure term has been translated "homosexuals" but its exact meaning is debated. It certainly does not include women but only some kind of male sexual offenders. If it does refer to men having sex with men — which is dubious — it must be interpreted in light of the abuse and licentiousness commonly associated with male-male sex in the Roman Empire. See Robin Scroggs, The New Testament and Homosexuality.

-Finally, Genesis 1-3 shows Adam and Eve created for mutual companionship and procreation. These accounts use the most standard of human relationships to teach a religious lesson. The point is the love and wisdom of God, who made all things good and wills us no evil. Nothing suggests the biblical authors intended a lesson on sexual orientation.

Also, if you're interested, I'm in the process of reading a really interesting book, 'The Church and the Homosexual' by John J. McNeill. You might be interested in taking a look at that, and you can probably get it online for pretty cheap.

Hope that helps a little.

Jun 20, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Not exactly what I was looking for, but all I could find right now- hopefully I'll have more for you later.

HOMOSEXUALITY - WHAT THE BIBLE R

Jun 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
    There's also a wikipedia article about it with a pretty lengthy discussion to read through- just came across it now, never seen it before, but it may have more info for you- it's called 'The Bible and Homosexuality'
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Yes, those that want to re-write the meaning of the bible do question it and attempt to justify it, but it is simply not true. This is one of the issues we have against them, they are trying to force their beliefs on the church
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, those that want to re-write the meaning of the bible do question it and attempt to justify it, but it is simply not true. This is one of the issues we have against them, they are trying to force thier beliefs on the church
    As opposed to the people that believe in the church that try to force their beliefs on others? :rolleyes:
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 03:01 AM
    In a way, I am glad there is currently a thread in reference to this subject matter, as in some of my previous post, I may have given the impression that I don't cherish God's word, the bible. I do.

I struggle so much between right and wrong and voicing to someone that they are doing something unfavorable to God, as I myself am a sinner and the manner in which some in society voices such negativity to one group of people, always disturbs me and it is my opinion, not reflecting God's love in any way. In fact, it can turn many away from God.

What I don't understand, is the bible states all sins and also reads clearly to love one another, to turn the other cheek, to not judge.

Why is there so much hostility to the Gay community, and yet, there are never any threads or discussions about Child molestation - a disgraceful disgusting sin? Or murder, or infedility? But two people who love each other, truly and with all their hearts, whether right or wrong, and again, we here have no idea what makes someone Gay, is verbally burned at the stake.

I am not saying all who believe in God and love God, do these harsh things, because they don't, there are many who love all sinners and sincerely want them to turn away from the sin, but there are some, that demonstrate what equates to hatred, and to me, that is far from God's plan.

Sorry Synn - hope I am not off topic, it's not my intention, and glad you did initiate the thread.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 21, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    ... I am not saying all who beleive in God and love God, do these harsh things, because they don't, there are many who love all sinners and sincerely want them to turn away from the sin, but their are some, that demonstrate what equates to hatred, and to me, that is far from God's plan.
    That is a correct statement. But that brings us to those who do all that "judging"...
    It seems to me that the majority of those showing so much hatred and intolerance all around them are conservative strict Christians.
    What drives these people to do that? Can we blamed that on the Bible ? Or on the believers themselves ?
    Again - staying within the confinement of the question - why are so many conservative Christians so full of hatred and intolerance against homosexuality?
    Nobody is telling or asking them to become gay, is it not? And where in the Bible are the scriptures involving homosexuality that instruct those who believe the Bible to be God's words to show so much hatred and intolerance for gays? As far as I know the Bible says that the "final judgment" is done by God...

:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

List of scriptures re the trinity [ 6 Answers ]

I do not believe in the trinity but I do notice that some few scriptures like John 1:1 and John 8:58, Titus 2:13, also Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho (Catholic translation) call Jesus God. Yet the overwhelming majority of scripture shows Jesus' subjection to the Father. Is it possible to...

Is Homosexuality Wrong? [ 372 Answers ]

Without using religion, citing scripture, or bringing god into the equation, please explain why you believe that homosexuality is wrong, why gays should not have the right to marry, and what kind of impact you feel homosexuality has on society.

Cause of Homosexuality [ 28 Answers ]

Has anyone actually discovered what causes people to be born homosexual ? Is it genetic, a fault in the DNA, what? Is there a cure ?

Topics in homosexuality [ 4 Answers ]

Why do the administrators of AskMeHelpDesk close threads when good conversation is taking place? Recently I was involved in a conversation that was closed because it was "off topic." The original poster asked about the differences between gay and straight people as they pertain to the judgement...

Topic in Homosexuality [ 14 Answers ]

Apparently AMHD can't take criticism either, given the rapid removal of my previous post. Once again, I'd like to express sadness that topics pertinent to a question cannot be discussed if they are deemed too controversial.

View more questions Search