Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamileon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
    How does a 2nd Generation Greek American get Greek Citizenship?
    My parents were born in the United States, but all of their antecedents were born in Greece (or Turkish-held Greece -- Samos).

Although my command of the language is very limited, I do have a Greek baptismal certificate and knowledge of Greece's history and culture.

I am 56 and would like to move to Greece to find work there and retire in about 15 years.

I have two virtually useless B.A. degrees from an American university.

There is a remote possibility that I can claim some 100-year old land in Samos.

I appreciate any help I can get to clarify the seemingly Byzantine methods of obtaining citizenship that I have read.

Thanks!

--Leonidas K
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Similar question here..
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/immigr...es-226723.html
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Ideally, your father's father left Samos after it became part of Greece in 1912. If that is the case, and he was inscribed in the Military Records [Mitrwa Arrenwn], then you are probably okay and your case is straightforward. Just ask your closest Greek Consulate to obtain a copy of the military records from Samos with his name on, and then get his wedding certificate [from the Church he was married], your father's birth certificate, and your parents' wedding certificate. The process will take a few years, but it will go through the bureaucracy and you will be declared a Greek citizen by birth.

If your parents' parents left Samos before it became part of Greece [i.e. with Ottoman passports], you may be out of luck. There is a way to naturalize into Greek citizenship while you are still overseas, but it is a bit onerous. However, since you would be what is called an ομογενής, or a foreigner of Greek descent, you do get special treatment if you wish to move back to Greece and naturalize into Greek citizenship while you are there. Your closest Greek consulate can give you more details about that.

Hope this helps.
    Greekguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 02:21 PM

Mialeon, I am curious how you are proceeding... My greatgrandfather was born in Samos and I am in the process of applying for my greek citizenship via the naturalization method. He moved to the USA when it was still under turkish occupation. The problem is that we don't have records of him in samos but we have allot of records in the USA that list that he was from "greece" and I still speak greek, we own property in greece, etc. I have not yet applied since I am still in the process of getting the apostilles etc. I also wanted to see if anyone else has applied under the "naturalization" method - politografisis process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is...

Greek Citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

If my mother is Greek and I was born in 1965 outside Greece, am I entitled to the Greek citizenship

Dual Citizenship American & Greek [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an American married to a Greek citizen who was naturalized an now has dual citizenship in the US and Greece. My question is "Is it possible for me to obtain Greek citizenship (and passport) through my marriage to her, and if so, how do I go about it?" Thanks in advance all you...

Greek citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Born in USA of Greek parents Lived in Greece for 7 years and finished elementaty school there I have my Greek church marriage certificate don't have the baptizmal (lost to a fire ,elderly mom can't remember the church ) Can I apply with this and what else do I need Efxaristo

Greek citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - How can I get greek citizenship for my son? His father is greek and he recognize baby by his own in front of a public notary.Greek embassy ask me to bring the father but he disappeared.We were never married.What can I do to register my son in Greece? Anyone with greek boyfriend please advise....

View more questions Search