Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused1145 Posts: 176, Reputation: 17

Jun 13, 2008, 04:10 PM
    My ex continues to play with my emotions
    I am so confused with my current situation. My ex and I are expecting a baby. Here lately, we have been back and forth with our relationship. One day he is really serious about being with me and then the next day or so he decides that the two of us should just be friends. I can never seem to figure out where the two of us stands. He suffers from manic depression, which this is why I believe causes him to constantly change his mind. Also, he had a horrible past relationship with his ex wife. She always cheated on him and treated him horrible. I've gave hoim so much time and he is the one that initiates the two of us getting back together. I only state my feelings I have for him. We get along so good so I don't fully understand all of this. Can someone please give me some suggestions on what to do and how to understand him a little better? He continues to reassure me that he has strong feelings for me.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Manic depression is also referred to a bipolar disorder and with this disorder it causes major mood swings. This is the reason for him behaving the way he does. Do he take meds?

The only thing I can said he when someone has a disorder you have to deal with it if you continue to be with that person, not to sound rude. Did this happen after the situation with his wife?

I know he hurts you, but you have to focus on the bundle of joy your carrying and know he might always be this way when the baby is born. Strong strong for your unborn child. He most likely has strong feelings for you and care a lot, but he needs to get his mental right. Does he goes to counseling?

I hope everything works out and just stay strong.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 05:32 PM
    You're making him assure you verbally, and that's not his forte. Men are action-based.

Regardless of what he says or doesn't say, evaluate how he acts... what he does. That baby needs commitment and consistency. YOU must provide that.

He's not allowed to come in and out of the baby's life like a yo-yo. He's either in or out all the way.

Whichever you deem is the right/correct choice on this, he is still responsible for his half of the baby's cost. This isn't an option, if you aren't getting married, you GET HIS commitment in writing. With or without his consent, you make sure his legal obligations to that child are spelled out and certified by a court.

Your CHILD needs this from you.
    confused1145 Posts: 176, Reputation: 17

Jun 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Yes, he does take meds most of the time. Sometimes he allows himself to run out of them. Recently his doctor started him on medication that makes him worse. He just stopped taking them so I'm hoping that this all improves. He didn't start doing this after his ex, he's been acting this way since he was young.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jun 13, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I"m not really able to say much about the situation, but there are probably many reasons for his behaviour. COuld be something some one says, Like... "God help you if you have kids." or "you are so irresponsible." And so on. COuld be he is jsut scarred and can't handle it. (I'm acctually in a simular situation. I may or may not be haveing a baby, the girl and i got together when she was "leaving" her ex, but she went back to him, and they were still doing things, I've accepted that i may not get to be a big part of my Plosible childs life, but I made the choice and must accept it as it is. Also The guy hates me, so I can't really go see her, Unless I know she is up set about how he treats her. One minute she is happy, the next so very sad. I just want to scoop her up in my arms and squees the fear, sadness and pain out of her. If you catch my meaning.) As for you you have to take care of yourself, and your child, or not, there acctaully arn't any real baises for those beliefs, other than the fact that most of us don't want to hurt, or cause hurt. Any who, moving on...

You can sugest the doctor, and trying to help him with information, but don't stress it, that's very annoying, i kind of have depression too, nasty mood swings at times. Nothing more frustrating then that. He probably feels, insecure (so hugs are great, and at a time of good feelings Kisses.), Confused (so space is needed, but not too much.) and many more and difficult things. The best thing I can sugest, you dont have to do it, but why not try it eh?? Try to keep calm no matter what, jsut let things go through you, yes it will probably hurt, but if you can (not ignore, thats bad.) acknoledge his feelings, and drop your own emotional strians. I can understand that will be next to impossible considering the little one on its way, hormones, and such. Try though, it helps when some one can hear you, and not be focused on thier own self, just watch that you're not lost in the prosess, very difficult to do this is. Use love, and compation as your not shield, you do need to hear and feel what he has to say, but counter. If he say something mean, say, "I love you." Then again that may upset him more, making him feel less of a man for being so petty or some such thing.

I'm sorry it this doesn't help, but I really do need a little more to go on. May love- kindness be with you.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jun 13, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused1145
    Yes, he does take meds most of the time. Sometimes he allows himself to run out of them. Recently his doctor started him on medication that makes him worse. He just stopped taking them so I'm hoping that this all improves. He didn't start doing this after his ex, he's been acting this way since he was young.
    Until he finds the right meds, and dose, he'll most likely be a Yo -yo as JB put it. Try not to get enveloped by just him, because weather he likes it or not, weather you like it or not, that child is going to be in this world and will need most of your attention and time. Besides, you don't want to let this situation ruin the experience of the baby eh? You will only have this child once! So don't wast it, the moment I mean.

Angain my Friend, may love-kindness be with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

So much emotions [ 7 Answers ]

Sometimes I feel toward some person love and suddenly I hate them, and then love them and at the time I don't like them I just pick a fight with them or just criticize them for remembering little things they did or I just picked up in it and I did not like it at the time but did not affect me that...

No emotions [ 6 Answers ]

I really think I'm going crazy or I'm just not normal I have a child of 7 yrs and I have no feelings for them at all not like some mothers do I've been like this since they were born I've tried but everything they do grates me

Strange emotions [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very weird problem - I am overcome with a sort of negative emotion that I can't describe whenever I see a particular thing. Of the many things that will bring this on, some of the worst are the angle of the sunlight, certain old cars, tall trees, wood panneling, old houses, children,...

F1 to H1 . The delimma continues [ 5 Answers ]

Tax experts, I read a similar post submitted last year, but my situation is slightly more complicated. 1. on F1 since 2002 2. Status changed to H1 on Feb 1 2006 (was on OPT part of 2005 and Jan 2006) 3. Indian resident Granted, I'll be filing as a resident alien.

View more questions Search