Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Tragic news...
    We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as it is Jewish custom to bury the bodies within 24 hours or as soon as possible. So the funeral might be tomorrow.

We are both just absolutely stunned at this point. No feeling. They were both very young (29 and 28) and it's so terrible for the kids. Anyway I wanted to say I might not be on the forum for a few days. We always take the computer with us when we travel, but I'm not sure I will feel like coming on. Maybe though... who knows, I might want a break of some kind. I hate this stuff. :(
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2006, 10:19 PM
    I am sure that I speak for many when I say that our hearts go out to you and to the family of the young couple, and we all hole that the children are OK. God Bless You.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2006, 12:59 AM
    I don't really know what to say other than my thoughts are with you and Alex.

I am truly sorry for your and his loss.

And for the young children….

It is so sad.

CF
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2006, 02:10 AM
    Thanks to both of you for your wishes. I have since found out that both the children were with their grandparents at the time, so at least they were not in the accident. Alex was able to get to sleep but I am still up and restless and it's almost 3:30 am! We have to leave for the airport at 6:30 am so I'm not even sure if it's worth going to bed at this point... blah.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2006, 03:19 AM
    Try to not stress yourself out for the baby's sake. Take care of yourself and let us know what happens to the children.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Hi,
    All the best to you and my prayers go out to you and your husband. It is a blessing that the children were not in the car. Please get back with us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Our prayers will be with you and the family. There is no true preparation for death and the loss of loved ones. We will keep all of you in our thougths, minds and prayers.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
    I am so sorry to hear about the losses. It is very tragic and we are all praying for the whole family. Take the time needed for your family.

Joe
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 12, 2006, 10:10 AM
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and Alex. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Robyn
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 12, 2006, 10:12 AM
    I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that God gives all of you the strength to endure.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 12, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Oh my God, Orange.. Im so sorry to hear this. I hope you and your husband are doing okay. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks when I hear this. Let us know how you are doing. Love you.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Thanks again for all your thoughts. I must be addicted to this forum, because I came online specially to see what was going on. Anyway, we are here in Vancouver now, staying at Alex's parents. The immediate adult family members have gone to the funeral home to make some last arrangements, and I stayed here to babysit the children, Shaina and Levi. They are watching a video right now, and I am still too restless to do much, so I decided to set up the computer, come on here and maybe play a game or something before the video finishes. I still haven't gotten any sleep!

The funeral is tomorrow morning, and the mourning surrounding the funeral is going to be fairly traditional. Family and friends are going to take shifts of a couple of hours or so to sit with the bodies today and all night right up until the funeral as a kind of vigil, which is traditional. The bodies are not to be left alone, because it is believed that the souls still linger until the burial.

Then after the funeral all the immediate family is going to sit shiva for 7 days. Alex and I are staying for that, so we'll be here in Vancouver for the next week. Everyone is going to be staying at the grandparent's house for the Shiva. Luckily they have a large house because there's going to be Alex's parents, his sister-in-law's parents, his other 2 brothers, her sister and her 3 children, plus Alex and I and the children, Shaina and Levi.

Anyway don't know why I said all that. I seem to be typing a lot of stuff I don't really need to. I guess I should end for now and say thanks again to everyone. Maybe I should try to lie down again before the video is over.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Mar 12, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Orange my prayers will be with you and your familys. May God watch over and bless you all in this hard time.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Mar 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Orange,

Sorry to hear the sad news.

You and yours will be in our prayers. Godspeed on your journey and safe return home.

Irulan
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
    You are in my thoughts and my prayers.
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Mar 12, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Orange,
    I am sorry for your family loss. It always makes me sad and angry at the same time when I hear something that terrible.
    I feel for you and your family.
    Please feel free to post here more messages on that if you need more support: it may help to talk about it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Thanks again everyone. I had no idea I would get so many responses. It's nice to know that so many people care! I'm signing off for the evening, as I didn't get any sleep last night. Tomorrow is busy with the funeral in the morning, then the burial, the meal of condolance, and the first evening of saying mourner's kaddish. So I might come on tomorrow night again, but I'm not sure. I'm exhausted.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
    All our prayers are with you
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 13, 2006, 12:49 AM
    Orange, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I send my deepest condolences to you and your family.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Take care of yourself and let us know what happens to the children.
    NeedKarma, the children are supposed to go to US... Alex and me, that is!! Just a few months ago we signed some documents saying we would adopt the children if anything happened to Alex's brother and sister-in-law. Alex has 2 other brothers, but they are both single, and his other sister-in-law is a single mom with 3 small children. Both sets of grandparents are nearing 70 and so they felt they were too old to raise such young kids. So we were the only reasonable choice.

Of course we NEVER imagined that Sam and Rachel were going to die so soon!! So it's all very sad, and at the same time confusing and I am SCARED to death of adopting the kids! Not that I don't want them, I really love them and they know me well... in fact they are pretty much clinging to me since we got here. They know they are going with us. But I'm worried that I won't know how to care for them, etc... plus I'm going to give birth soon... eeek. I feel so overwhelmed, having to deal with their deaths plus comfort and care for the kids. Alex's parents are offering tons of help in the way of finances, because they are quite wealthy, but still we will be the ones to raise the kids. It's very scary. Anyway I guess I don't need to worry about it just yet, we are here for another week yet. But it is pretty overwhelming right now. It still hasn't sunk in that Sam and Rachel are actually gone and that I am suddenly the mother of 2 kids plus a baby on the way! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't seem to cope after boyfriends tragic death [ 8 Answers ]

A little over a month ago my boyfriend was working on my car. He was underneath and the jack he was using slipped and the car fell crushing him. He was only 42 and very healthy. I am the one who found him and I am having a really hard time dealing with it all. I still feel like it's all a really...

A tragic end... [ 21 Answers ]

Well Petes birthday was hit and we had a great weeend until Saturday night. We got into this club and in a split second he went from being the Happy Pete that I know and Love to very angry and would not talk to me, his mates or his brothers. All of us are completely baffled as nothing happened to...

Tragic news... [ 23 Answers ]

We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as...

View more questions Search