Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jocs321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Recording Legal Settlement Fees and Payments
    After taking a client to court the settlement is paid directly to the lawyer. If we settle for $1000 on a particular client the lawyer will take his $300 and send us a settlement check for $700 to apply towards the clients account. How do I clear the $300 balance on clients account considering it was paid by client at settlement, it was just kept by lawyer for his fees. I don't know what to debit and what to credit.

Thanks
    Donna
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
    You would…

Dr. Cash 1,000
    Cr. A/R – Client 1,000

Dr. Legal Fees/Expense 300
    Cr. Cash 300

You can write the above 2 JE as just 1 entry, netting the cash amount. I just broke it out so you can see it more clearly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forced to pay her legal fees? [ 3 Answers ]

We've been married for a short time and my wife has relatively little assets compare to me. Can I be forced to pay her legal fees if she refuses to pay for her attorney?

Recovering legal fees [ 10 Answers ]

I was indicated for money laundering, I was entrapped by government officials. I was found not guilty by a jury (Federal Ct). My lawyer's fees ran over $200,000 (what's the price of freedom... ) What are my chances of recovering this or part of this with a lawsuit against the government agency...

Legal fees [ 8 Answers ]

I wrote a check out to an attorney, who then said he did not accept checks. He said because it's a holiday "I will hold this check until tomorrow, bring cash, I'll give you back the check." I did that. I was in hurry to get to court and did not look at receipt till 2 days later. The receipt...

Is recording legal [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Ky is legal to record a conversation without both parties being aware that they are being recorded?

Partial Rent Payments and Late Fees [ 3 Answers ]

I live in VA and my landlord accepts what I would call "partial" payments on monthly rent. I write a rent check and my roommate writes a check for each part. Our lease is a "simple terms" lease and states the following under the Late Fees: "If you fail to pay the rent in full before the end of...

View more questions Search