Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Mar 11, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Squeaking Floors under Carpet
    My floors (2nd) floor)are squeaking under the carpet, I'd rather not pull up the carpet to fix. What can I do. It's very annoying
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
    To really fix it you need to pull back the carpet and pad... and from there, the right solution would depend on what material floor you have. If you have plywood, driving a few extra screws into it should do the trick.

Then you'd only need to have someone come in and restretch it.

You can, though, try to Rube Goldberg it.

Where the floor squeaks the most, drive a fat finishing nail into it at an angle.
    Yep, right through the carpet.

You'll very carefully separate the carpet with your fingers and starting the nail right into the backing of the carpet, to be sure you're not driving carpet itself down through... then follow your nail head with a nail punch - to get it's head down to the surface of the floor.

Of the few times I've tried this, it's worked about half the time.

NOTE: Done right, this will be completely un-noticeable and will not damage the carpet in any way. Done wrong will damage the carpet.

Only try this if you completely understand what I'm trying to get at with it.

Let me know if I can clarify further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

A/C Squeaking- Will oil do it? [ 1 Answers ]

My central A/C woke me up because it was sqeaking so loudly. I hit the side of the unit and it got better but started again. I turned it off and took the cover off. It is dusty in there. Can it be oiled so it will stop and I can sleep?

Frigidaire Dryer squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire dryer Model# FDE797IEWI. The dryer squeaks, mostly when starting and for the first few minutes while operating

Refinishing floors [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to refinish some stairs. I was planning on using polyurathane. I have been told that the water based version is better. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of both.

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search