Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unicos Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water?
    I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain.
    They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long again, basement room one little area about 3 sq.ft. had water soaking. I went ahead installed a sump pump at the outside near by the wall (it is about 15 feet away from that soaking spot inside the basement house), tried to drain out any ground water into the sump, in hope of drain any ground water near that soaking spot. This is the 4th day after sump pump install, continuously have water gets pump out from the sump pump. However, so is the soaking area still wet with some water also.

NOTE:

1. While installing sump pump, in the big hole I hammer in four pieces of 1/2" x 2' long metal pipe (side way into the dirt about 2 feet below grade level in hope of quick drain out ground water) at different positions. Indeed, one of the pipe quickly drained out very clean water, other pipes water drain little slow.

2. Before I purchased the apartment in May, an inspector did a check and learned the water pressure in the line is not as high.

Obviously, basement wall or slab has crack. And I wonder such daylight basement water problem if caused by long period of raining, or by broken water pipe? If it is broken water pipe then why it is not flooding or wet during normal time.

QUESTION:

a. How can I determine for sure what is the problem

b. How can I fix the problem, no more water leaking.

THANKS FOR YOUR SOONEST ADVICE.

VICTOR
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 13, 2008, 05:35 AM
    I wonder such daylight basement water problem if caused by long period of raining, or by broken water pipe? If it is broken water pipe then why it is not flooding or wet during normal time.
    Good question. It sounds like ground water but let's check.
    To check to see if you have a hidden leak first shut down everything in the house, no flush, no drinks of water, and if you are on a meter go out and check the little pointer in the gage. It should not move or creep. If it does you have a leak. If you're on a pump then check the pressure gage after the pump builds up to pressure and shuts off. The gage should not fall and the pump come back on. If so you have a hidden leak.
    How can I fix the problem, no more water leaking.
    If it's ground water intrusion then a french drain ,(see image) around the house comes to mind. If it's a hidden leak the floor will have to be opened and the leak repaired. Let me know if you're interested in Installing a french drain. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop water pipe joint leak [ 8 Answers ]

I installed a new water tank and had to use some of the old iron plumbing pipes which I could not disconnet (30 years of rusted joints). Now the joint between the old pipe and the new check valve has a minor leak, couple drops a minute. Is there any way to stop the leak without taking the...

Leak in slab from water pipe from water heater [ 4 Answers ]

Looks like I need help. Would like an overall on what I can expect when I talk to a plumber. And should I have all pipes replaced (house 60 years old), how long should this take, what would cost range be for job in southern CA? Should all piping be checked for cracks. House is very small so this...

Broken water pipe in wall [ 1 Answers ]

For the last few months we've noticed the wall in our bedroom getting wet and moldy from the inside. We realized that a water pipe must have broken within the wall and is now leaking. We want to break open the wall and fix the pipe by ourselves since we cannot afford a professional. How exactly can...

Water leak in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak in my basement floor coming from a hole in the concrete. This hole has been here since we moved in and has never been a problem before. Since last week when we had rain all day, we.ve has water coming from this hole(there is a pvc pipe in the hole) and also water accumulating on the...

Blocked Hot water heat after fixing broken pipe [ 4 Answers ]

Help I'm a pretty green Do it your selfer but I was able to fix a pipe that had frozen and split. Its holding pressure on the other side because There is a drain and I can have drained out 2 gallons of water. :eek: The water was hot which leads me to believe that everything is good on that side...

View more questions Search