Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunnywootxp Posts: 103, Reputation: -2

Jun 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
    How to change 54.0 Mbps to 100.0 Mbps for my wireless laptop?
    HI

At my main desktop the speed is 100.0 Mbps but my wireless laptop its 54.0 Mbps they both use the same wireless modem but why is my wireless laptop speed is 54.0 Mbps can it be faster and change it too 100.0?
    Also if you guys know any tips how can I make my wireless laptop speed faster please tell me .
    Thanks a lot
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Your laptop's wireless adapter may not be capable of anything faster than 54 Mbps (802.11G). If so, you would need to replace the adapter with another one that is technology compatible with your wireless modem (802.11pre-n?), probably by the same manufacturer, to get over 54 Mbps.

I also feel compelled to point out that your Internet connection is likely 1/36 or less as fast as your laptop's wireless (1.5 Mbps / 54 Mbps), so unless you are transferring huge files between your laptop and desktop all day long or plan to invite 100 friends over with their laptops for a gaming party, you will see no real benefit of upgrading to 100 Mbps on the laptop.

P.S. Please don't double post.

Jun 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Your laptop's wireless adapter may not be capable of anything faster than 54 Mbps (802.11G). If so, you would need to replace the adapter with another one that is technology compatible with your wireless modem (802.11pre-n?), probably by the same manufacturer, to get over 54 Mbps.

I also feel compelled to point out that your Internet connection is likely 1/36 or less as fast as your laptop's wireless (1.5 Mbps / 54 Mbps), so unless you are transferring huge files between your laptop and desktop all day long or plan to invite 100 friends over with their laptops for a gaming party, you will see no real benefit of upgrading to 100 Mbps on the laptop.

P.S. Please don't double post.
    Well I usually download movies and torrents using my laptop so I can plug it in and watch it at my TV... my desktop don't have that option and the line isn't long enough... well with54.0 Mbps is there a way to download torrents as fast as my desktop or speed up laptop
    Hardware Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Software configurations being equal, any downloads should be the same speed unless your Internet connection is faster than 54 Mbps, or your laptop's hard drive cannot write the data as fast as it's being downloaded.

What sort of performance difference are we talking about?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Well, maybe 80% of 54 Mbps. The other 20% is overhead. But your right, the smallest pipe wins.

Desktops and laptops are not the same by any means. The disk drive speed is usually 7400 rather than 5400 RPM. Processor speed may be different and a host of other things.

Also Windows, is crippled (I know XP is). It can't download faster than about 15 Mbps without some tweaks. With tweaks I got 36 Mbps on an essentially 100 Mbps local infrastructure running on essentially infinite bandwidth.

Jun 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Well, maybe 80% of 54 Mbps. The other 20% is overhead. But your right, the smallest pipe wins.

Desktops and laptops are not the same by any means. The disk drive speed is usually 7400 rather than 5400 RPM. Processor speed may be different and a host of other things.

Also Windows, is crippled (I know XP is). It can't download faster than about 15 Mbps without some tweaks. With tweaks I got 36 Mbps on an essentially 100 Mbps local infrastructure running on essentially infinite bandwidth.
    What happen if there a way to add the 20% so it will overhead(overheat?) what will happen if my laptop overheat?

Jun 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Software configurations being equal, any downloads should be the same speed unless your Internet connection is faster than 54 Mbps, or your laptop's hard drive cannot write the data as fast as it's being downloaded.

What sort of performance difference are we talking about?
    Well I want my internet connection to be the same speed as my desktop my laptop uses the same wireless modem as my desktop so why can't they be the same speed also my desktop is way older than my laptop and the downloading speed and torrent is faster than my laptop... (that really sucks) (laugh) :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Overhead: It cost's information to transmit information. An old example, to transmit 8 bits serially, it required 1 start bit, and 1 stop bit, thus for 8 data bits, 2 are wasted or overhead.

You cannot achieve 10 Mbps of real information. 20% is used to created headers, and stuff necessary to transmit the information.
    Hardware Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
    I think the overhead discussion, while true, is confusing the OP and moot anyway as the relative overhead on both the laptop and the desktop should be the same unless the MTU size has been tweaked significantly.

Sunny... to determine why one computer is faster than the other, you would have to do some testing by downloading the same file on both machines in exactly the same manner and at the same time of day and post numbers and hardware specifications. However, given your other posts regarding modem issues, proxy/IP changes, registry fixes, hard drive replacements, blue screen of death errors, and other hardware upgrade discussions, I'm wondering if your machines are all that healthy and working properly to begin with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Sky, wireless to laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've just converted from bt to sky. I've received my wireless router from sky. I operate a toshiba laptop. I can't download all the sky cd rom as it stalls saying my windowa xp is not authentic. I have purchased a wireless bus card for the laptop but can't get my laptop to operate on wireless....

Confused about kb,kpbs,mb,mbps. [ 8 Answers ]

Dear All I do not know what does this mean. I am always confused in this and I really do not know about the basics of these things. I am working in a computer related Company but I tried a lot to learn about these but in vian. And did not Understand it so far. So I would appreciated a lot...

Wireless for laptop [ 5 Answers ]

I have a laptop computer with an available slot for a pc card. I plan to go DSL on my desktop which will have a router. What type of card do I need for my laptop? An ethernet card? Network card? Also, I've been told that this card needs to be removed each time I shutdown the computer. Is this...

View more questions Search