Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bass Player Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Non-prorating insurance on roofs?
    Hello.

I have a relative in Georgia who recently suffered some roof damage. She went out and obtained 3 bids from licensed contractors to repair the damage and had her insurance adjuster come out to survey the damage. All three contractors indicated that full replacement was necessary. However the proposed compensation from her insurance company was significantly lower than all three bids. The primary reason for this appears to be the age of the roof (it is 10+ years old). I told her that this was fairly common practice but she indicated that she had a 'deluxe' policy that is supposed to provide full replacement cost regardless of the age of the roof.

I have never heard of such a policy but I have not read her policy, don't live in Georgia and am not really experienced in this area.

My questions are these:

1) Do policies such as this exist? / Is it possible her understanding is correct?

2) What possible recourses does she have if she is correct?

Thanks.
    Bass Player Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
    This might seem very strange answering my own question but I finally thought to ask my own agent this question.

He said that these policies do exist although he is not certain about how things in GA work. He said that they are called 'Replacement Cost' policies verses the 'Cash Value' policy I was more familiar with.

He suggested that she bypass the adjuster and talk directly with her agent or the claims office. Sometimes the initial check is not the full amount but just a value to get her started.

I'm still not sure about next steps for her if these don't work out but thses sound like reasonable first steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Matching Bricks with Blue Metal Roofs [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get opinions on what shade/name of Bricks to use for skirting on a white house raised 4ft. With a Blue metal roof?

Prorating a month to month lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord in New Jersey, I rented my apartment for a year then it turned into a month to month lease, the tenant told me about three months ago that he would initially be leaving in June but since he was looking to buy a house and it took longer than expected it turns out he will be...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

View more questions Search