Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jun 12, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Jedi-ism, Foolishness or curiousness?
    Yes, I know. Jedi's are not real, that we know of, in our univers. And The force was really created by George Lukcus by studying other religions, especailly Budhism, and so one. But what if we ignore the story, drop the illusion and see the relevance??

Ok, so we may not have Light sabers, which are super sweet I admit, or mstical powers, that we know of, or super awsome space cruisers with talking droids. No indeed we do not know of such things, but what about the Philosophy its self? No, not that all things are connected by a single living oragnism (spicies), Midiclorians. (can't tell if I spelled that right.) Any who, but the idea that we are all connected, penatrated, and apart of something bigger. Something that is with out Bias, for good, or bad?

Now tell me, could it be possible for there to be some Kind of "Force" to exist? Something we are a part of, and work with weather we know it or not. We are it, it is us, and all that surrounds us. I know too many movies right?? Too much imagination... But I'm not talking about acctaul Jedis! I'm talking about People, plants, animals, rocks, trees, soils, water, sand, air, "sun light even" all being one thing. Millions of things that are connected by one thing, and flow with that thing, or simply bump, sway, and crash with it. Curiouse eh? My young Padawans? Haha, sorry I couldn't resist.

Tell me what do you think? Are we one of the same, or are we each individuals completely seporate, or are we both, or none??

I find people telling me that there is a spectrum that runs from black to white, some say from balck to grey to white, but I have never heard anyone ever tell me that it runs from black to green, to yellow, to orange to blue, to grey to white, to red, to purple, to many other things we can't even begin to fathome. So I believe in an open spectrum, that can go from any order to no order at all. Things aren't as they always seem, eh?

May Love and kindness find you and thus guid you. Or may it not... You choose.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Lets just compare this to Chrsitianity for a minute ( well at least for some fun)

A christian believes that God spoke the world into being, and God is in and with everything, so in a way as the "force" believed that all tings were one and all connected together Even man made from the dust of the earth, So in fact this is the same belief.

Light sabers, ( OK really neat, along with hover boards from back to the future). These are not mystic, they are even for them, science.

And in Christianity it says if you have enough faith ( force? ) you can say to the mountain to move and it will move.

So perhaps is this not a form of christianity just put into a science fiction idea with a lot of things being blown up. Make the jedi's really coll catholic months with an attitude to blow up everyone they don't agree with.

And there are many non christians who could see christians wanting to do that.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian
    ... Now tell me, could it be possible for there to be some Kind of "Force" to exist? ...
    Possible ? Yes, why not? Everything is possible. But is that probable ? No, why would it ?
    Some people may even believe that some force exists, but that does not provide any validity to that claim.

... Are we one of the same, or are we each individuals compleatly seporate, or are we both, or none???
    There is no reason to suppose that we are anything more than individuals. All else is belief based.

May Love and kindness find you and thus guid you.
    Thanks Nestorian ! And peace and happiness to you too !

:D
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:52 AM
    All living things have "the force", life force. The origin of life is a mystery at this time.

One can take the view that all living things are One-that human beings are one with the Universe.

This counteracts the view of monotheism which teaches that human beings are the most important living being in the Universe.

Jun 13, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Lets just compare this to Chrsitianity for a minute ( well at least for some fun)

A christian believes that God spoke the world into being, and God is in and with everything, so in a way as the "force" beleived that all tings were one and all connected together Even man made from the dust of the earth, So in fact this is the same belief.

Light sabers, ( ok really neat, along with hover boards from back to the future). These are not mystic, they are even for them, science.

And in Christianity it says if you have enough faith ( force ??) you can say to the mountain to move and it will move.

So perhaps is this not a form of christianity just put into a science fiction idea with alot of things being blown up. Make the jedi's really coll catholic months with an attitude to blow up everyone they don't agree with.
    Indeed Christianity, and many other religions were incorperated into this Fictional idea, how ever, just as a religion is to us, A myth, story, so it Jedi-ism.

The real reason for stories, is not just to entertain us, but to show others our ideas, and how they affect others, as well as individuals, and so forth. Strange as this sounds, I believe that there are all and none of the possibilities out there, however, my mind, and body are far too entranced by the conditioning of our society and our Egos to free us to feel them, or rather sense them.

As for the whole idea that Jedi's belief in destroying thoughs who dissagree with them, that's not what they are about. At least in the movie, True, Mace window did say, "He's too dangerous to keep alive!" Then Anikan became Darth Vader as we all know. "DUn DUn DUN DUN na" Sorry couldn't help myself. Haha. Any who moving on...

The Jedi's acctually believe in harmony and letting others be, until they interrupt that harmony. Thus creating disturbances in the force. They do not discurage others form their belief, for that would make them a sith, and selfish, rather than selfless. Pride is a powerful and dangerous emotion. But they do fight against agressors, like the sith. Who impose upon others, for self gain.

Still I wonder if all religion is not the same thing in the end. And simply each searves the purpose of specific individuals, and groups. In truth, I often wonder if pain is even real..? See, I was with some one not too long ago, about a year and a half. Well she left me, yeah yeah, I was devistated then. Now I'm still hurting but it's subsided, But at the time I was irrational, hysterical more or less. Then I met another girl, even nicer, and more beautiful (let me tell you. ;) ) But even though I was with her for a shorter time, the pain of her choosing some one else was still the same, maybe even greater, given the connection we shared. But this time I was calm, cool, collected, and still I was sad, but I didn't react the same, I instead let it go. As if the feelings were just a passing phase, and the inner me was all like, SO it goes. I wonder if we can't tap into that level of self all the time and just Be, not reacting so intensly to emotions. I even found myself kind of laughing at the hilarity of it all, given the girl did have a boyfriend when we first um... got together, but then they broke up, and then Got back together. I always said I would never be like my first Ex's boyfriend and invade in someone else's relation ship. Truth is, it's only our relation ship if both people are in it. It's not a Character flaw or any thing if a person is not into it, and they still tell you they love you, and are your girlfriend, they are just as unsure as you are. We are all in this together, and in that sense bound. Yet..? We are also individuals, acting and reacting of our own free will, eh? For as the saying goes, I think..? "for every action, there is an equal and opposit reaction."

Religion is facinating, as is life.

I also entertain the idea that we as a Race could be much better. Working together, rather then apart, for our fate is all as one. Ultimately decided by the dealings and doings of each individual being, and our environment.

Should not the government be more like the Jedi counsil? How interesting, sending deligates, who would not have so much insight or power as a jedi, but rather diplomatic and peaceful resolutions. So it is true we do seem to have that, but why do we use the power of our war hammer as a constant reminder of our standing in the world? Rather than the idea that we are all as one, and each has it's own problems that make us all feel maybe different feelings, but ultimately with-in the same spectrum. So rather than, you blow up my home now I'm going to blow up yours. "an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind, "who is to see this before it's through"." Yeah I made that last bit up, or did I hear it some place?? Any who, retribution is not ever a solution. Fighting for, not freedom, because freedome is just a point of view. (since we are all caged by the walls we so egarly build, to keep us "safe". Even the simple watching of T.V. and yes movies, are propiganda that surrounds us, and makes us see and believe things that are not entirely true. Conditioned to fear even being alone. What's to be scarred of, in a room with no windows, just a locked door? Only imagination, the fear of fear it's self.)

I'm not saying that there is a wright way, or wrong way... I mean really how do we know that there isn't some super powerful race of aliens that aren't looking at us right now saying, "Damn, that place isn't worth the effort of taking over, it's done for. Polutted beyound repair." Or that if some one was not killed in a terrible accident, who knows that if that person had lived that they wouldn't have a child and raise a little hittler. SO many plossibilities, and no real was of knowing for sure.

Still very interesting it is. I wish I could connect more with the world around me, At times I feel so at peace with it, other's I can't tell weather I'm alive or dead, or just imagining it all, or if it's really a dream. "Every thing is connected to evert thing else." Can you feel it? Or rather is it plossible that an individual can feel it? Does it really matter if we know what it is?

Very interesting indeed, my friends.

May love and peace be with you.

P.S. I hope I didn't ramble off too too much, I tend to do that. Haha.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Fun post, wish others had ran with it
    -

Jun 14, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Religion is facinating, as is life.
    Indeed : it is fascinating to see otherwise seemingly sane people reducing themselves voluntarily into some format of mental retardation by believing into a deity or deities for whom there is no need at all to exist, and for whom there is not one single iota of objective supporting evidence that it / they exists.
    In that respect Jedi-ism equals any other religious view, from one of the main religions to that in the Flying Pink Unicorn or the Spaghetti Monster.

:rolleyes:

Jun 14, 2008, 06:07 PM
    True enough eh? True enough. So believe in nothing, but don't disbelieve any thing. Thus being open eh? All answers are equally valid, for none are truly valid. All, is nothing, and nothing is all. While some things are everywhere, and everything is nowhere, and nothing is anywhere. Haha. I like it, it makes no sense, yet it's entirely true, but still completely false too!

For every up, there is a down, for every left, a right, for every center an outside... Hummmmm..? Yes, this is most intresting.

This brings to mind the question, "could it be that the more we learn about are exsistance, are we furthering our selfs from the answers???"
    -

Jun 15, 2008, 02:33 AM
    "could it be that the more we learn about are exsistance, are we furthering our selfs from the answers???"
    I do not think so, but that is not an objective supported opinion !
    In time, lot's of time, that may be answered for us !

:D
    MikeS2255 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Let me start by saying everyone's answers thus far have been very explorative. There is a lack of narrowmindedness on this blog page and I think we should all hold that in virtue. So with that said, I hope that my input will be equally valuable.
    What happens when you seek a religion that was based in fiction. I'll tell you what happens, you end up like Tom Cruise, jumping on top of a desk babling about how we are all aliens put on planet earth to try to live together.
    I know star wars rocks, how awsome would it be to actually be a jedi. It would be amazing, but its FICTION. I know you know that, I'm just saying a lot of people disregard that fact in there immediate abandonment of their willpower for the sake of making themselves feel more important.
    People, there are tons of amazing philosophies and religions out there that actually do exist. Ones that are founded on concrete beleifs and systems that have worked for those specific people for years and years. There is even a religion that is open to evertyhing, a place where people of all places pray under one roof and share their different ideas.
    So, my advice to anyone seeking to be a jedi, try where the jedi idea actually came from - the samuari. These blade wielding land lords were a big part of history and a lot of their philosophy is used in Star Wars.
    Also try yoga and taking a form of karatee. These three REAL things, will lead you closer to your pursuit of a jedi type religion then any independent effort.
    In the meantime, get your midichlorian count checked at your local doctor before you try moving any structures with "the force". Last week some jedi kid broke my window. I made him seal it back with the force and it took him all day.
    I know, my jokes are corny. But anyway, hope that helped in some way.

Aug 30, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS2255
    Let me start by saying everyone's answers thus far have been very explorative. There is a lack of narrowmindedness on this blog page and I think we should all hold that in virtue. So with that said, I hope that my input will be equally valuable.
    What happens when you seek a religion that was based in fiction. I'll tell you what happens, you end up like Tom Cruise, jumping on top of a desk babling about how we are all aliens put on planet earth to try to live together.
    I know star wars rocks, how awsome would it be to actually be a jedi. It would be amazing, but its FICTION. I know you know that, I'm just saying a lot of people disregard that fact in there immediate abandonment of their willpower for the sake of making themselves feel more important.
    People, there are tons of amazing philosophies and religions out there that actually do exist. Ones that are founded on concrete beleifs and systems that have worked for those specific people for years and years. There is even a religion that is open to evertyhing, a place where people of all places pray under one roof and share their different ideas.
    So, my advice to anyone seeking to be a jedi, try where the jedi idea actually came from - the samuari. These blade wielding land lords were a big part of history and a lot of their philosophy is used in Star Wars.
    Also try yoga and taking a form of karatee. These three REAL things, will lead you closer to your pursuit of a jedi type religion then any independent effort.
    In the meantime, get your midichlorian count checked at your local doctor before you try moving any structures with "the force". Last week some jedi kid broke my window. I made him seal it back with the force and it took him all day.
    I know, my jokes are corny. But anyway, hope that helped in some way.
    Ah, yes, the asian influence on this "jedi" faith, is quit large. I for one, am not entirly tied to one or another religion, but I do hold close some of their teachings. Like, Kung Fu, a combination of Confutianisam, buhdism, and Taoism. Very interesting how all three seem to have the same take on life, and yet different words,and means to express such. Facinating eh?
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 11:14 PM

lol nes!! I saw this coming XD =P Jedi-ism? I'm not so sure but I ll believe the day I see someone use the force to push someone =P

Although I do believe there are wise words used by Yoda =P
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 07:29 AM

I heard this on the news the other day
    They said many people in Britain and some other countries are listing Jedi as their religion.

Jedi census phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a site on their church
    Jedi Church - Jedi Religion and Jedi Faith

Apr 27, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    lol nes!!! i saw this coming XD =P Jedi-ism? im not so sure but i ll believe the day i see someone use the force to push someone =P

Although i do believe there are wise words used by Yoda =P
    Yes, I took words from a movie, and yes most have assocaited the idea of Jedi-ism with the movies, but what if it means something new now?

What if being a Jedi is about molding the different religious influences that Lucus used to make the Jedi faith, and it's more of a piece to a greater whole. If we look back through the ages, many religions are filled with Myth, even the bible is starting to seem more and more like a myth. SO why not take the religious teachings, that seem resonable and for the better of all the life that is, and pull them all together to make one idea that holds true to all.

I'm not really one to follow the actual Jedi Faith, but I see no difference between the credability of Jesus' words, buddha's, yoda's, Socrates', and even myself. "Wisdom is every where, we need only listen."-Nestorian

That may sound crazy to you brother, but it makes sense to me to neglect nothing, and to follow nothing- no one thing. Then again that's what I want to be, pliable same as life it's self, molding to the possibilities that arise.

Peace and kindness brother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search