Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Mar 10, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Good dog book?
    If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2006, 06:49 PM
    It would be hard to go wrong with How to be Your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete. I have heard good things from reliable people about The Cultural Clash by Jean Donalson, or her newer Dogs are from Neptune and the Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. All of those books are heavier on training than care. Most books include very little medical information expecting you to mainly rely on your vet.

Best thing I have ever read is the manual the dog guide gives us puppy raisers. It is written by people with an unusually deep knowledge of dogs and also practice teaching it. Unfortunately, although I often share info from it here, it is not available to the general public.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Labman, what is your opinion of the book "No Bad Dogs: The Woodhouse Way" by Barbara Woodhouse? I'm asking because we own this book in my house, but haven't read it yet. If it's not a good book, I'm tempted to take it in to the used bookstore to be traded for something better.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2006, 08:23 PM
    There are more good books around that I have a chance to check out. It at least sounds like it has a modern, positive tone.

There used to be a great expert around that I highly respected. He claimed any book is better than none at all. He just quit posting a few years ago. He was older and I am afraid he died.

I am sure there are some poor books out there. I have read some in the past, but forget the titles.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Hi,
    You might be interested in this:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

It is a Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer, site, with his video on dog psychology. It's not a training video, like sit, lie down, etc, but a presentation on training owners, with insight on what makes dogs act they way they do.
    Best wishes.
    iluvdoxies Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2006, 07:22 AM
    I found a good dog book with almost everything in it and it also has all the breeds as well it is called The Little Guides: Dogs, I don't know who the author is but it is a short book ( lengthwise) , I got it from my library , it is prob about 3 inches tall so its not that hard to tell it from the other books. Hope I helped!

Mar 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
    Thanks all! I noticed there is a revised/updated version of How to be Your Dogs Best Friend, is that much better than the original? Also, does anyone have any opinions on the book "Puppies for Dummies"??
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 09:19 AM
    I haven't seen or heard much about either of those books. The How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend was getting to be a little old. Dogs haven't changed much, but some newer ideas seem to be working. An updated version should be a good book.
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 04:49 PM
    I don't feel I have done a good job on this question. Part of the problem is that with all the training meetings I attend, plus the updated puppy raising manual I got in November, I haven't kept up on the newer books. 15 years ago, my daughter was bringing home a steady stream of books from the library. I can't go out and buy a dozen books and read them this week. I can't tell you where you can get a copy of my manual. I can copy the list of recommend reading in the back of it.

The Cultural Clash by Jean Donaldson, 1996

Excel-crated Learning by Pamela Reid, 1996

Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor, 1996

Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1993

Second Hand dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1988

Dog Problems, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1989

Super Puppy, by Peter J. Vollmer, 1988

HELP, Mt dog Has an Attitude, by Gwen Bohnenkamp, 1994

Owners' Guide Better Behavior in Dogs and Cats, by William Campbell, 1989

What All Good dogs Should Know, By Wendy Vollmer, 1991

Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV, 1994

How to Raise a Dog When Nobody is Home, Jerry Kilmer, 1991

Through Otis' Eyes-Lessons from a Guide Dog Puppy, by Patricia Berlin Kennedy and Robert Christie, 1998

Puppy Primer, by Brenda K Skidmore and Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Beginning Family Dog Training, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. 1996

Planet of the Blind-A Memoir, by Steven Kuusisto, 1998

The Other end of the Leash, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

The only one I am sure I read is Through Otis' Eyes, a fun children's book. Planet of the Blind sounds familiar. If so, it was hilarious.

The above list was put together by some very fine people, ones whose full time jobs are training dogs and teaching peole to care for them.

No doubt there are other good books out there. I would judge a book by its emphasis on leadership, a strict, but loving parent, not a drill sergeant. It should mostly rely on positive methods, Praise and not too heavily on treats. It should use modern methods including crates, head collars, Martingale collars. If it mentions prong collars, it should strongly recommend having an experienced person fit it. Feeding instructions should be based on controlled studies, not lists of ingredients.

Mar 13, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where is my book [ 1 Answers ]

I have install this excel program for almost 10 yrs now and been working fine until last week... I was working on a September program book that I save my work day on everyday and I do back up at the end of the month... on September 15 I tried to open my book and the book is nowhere to be find .I...

Unknown Sci-Fi Book [ 1 Answers ]

About 5 years ago I read a book that I would like to read again if only I could remember what it was called. I wish I could remember more about it, but alas I can not. All I can remember is it dealt with an underground civilization that was being explored and they turned out to be rather violent....

CSS e-Book [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am in need of an Advanced CSS e-Book. Any links would help me a lot. Sincere Regards Shaikh M. Zaid.

What is a good US history book? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a book about US history in one book?

View more questions Search