Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 10, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Sudden Violent Behaviour
    My dog is about nine months old. He is a neutered Husky Shepherd cross. He is normally a friendly kind albeit hyper dog. Tonight however, he lunged and snapped at my fiancé for no reason. Curtis (fiance) was sitting on the couch petting Nico (the dog) when the dog lashed out with his front paws and snapped at Curtis with his teeth. Totally out of the blue! Any ideas about what could have caused this, and should I be worried? I am pretty nervous!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
    I would start with a visit to the vet. Curtis may have accidentally hit a tender spot.

He may have also violated doggy etiquette somehow. It is a serious matter for a dog to lash out that way even if hurt or rudely challenged. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

The dog must learn that is not a proper response to any provocation. At 9 months, even neutered, he may be feeling he is a big boy and ready to challenge this intruder. As a Husky/Shepherd cross he may have some genetic tendencies to aggression and protectiveness. Get a book that emphasizes leadership and being top dog. Different people use slightly different terms. Check https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22607 for ideas. Work with him. If the problem persists, you may need to decide whether to enlist professional help or give up on him.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Hi,
    Sometimes, aggressiveness means the dog has not had enough exercise, giving him more energy than he knows what to do with!
    The Husky is a "working dog", meaning he needs plenty of exercise. If you take him for walks, they should be at least 45 minutes a day. If you have a large back yard, then run with him, releasing some energy.
    Some professional trainers, at first, use a treadmill, holding the dog on the treadmill with a leash, letting it walk away tension.
    I do wish you the very best.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 11, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Thanks, Labman for your help! Nico is already booked for obedience classes but they don't start until mid-April. I have a training book already and we are working on obedience everyday. He also has an appt for next week at the vet. We put him on a time out after his "incident" last night and when he came back out he was fine. I even cut his toenails without any problem. We just came back from a trip away with him yesterday and I am not sure but the change of routine might have had something to do with it.

As to his amount of exercise... he gets tons. He had four walks yesterday so I'm sure its not that. I am not working right now so he gets regular exercise and lots of attention. Thanks though for the suggestion, Fredg.
    bekii Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.pennell
    My dog is about nine months old. He is a neutered Husky Shepherd cross. He is normally a friendly kind albeit hyper dog. Tonight however, he lunged and snapped at my fiance for no reason. Curtis (fiance) was sitting on the couch petting Nico (the dog) when the dog lashed out with his front paws and snapped at Curtis with his teeth. Totally out of the blue! Any ideas about what could have caused this, and should I be worried? I am pretty nervous!
    U should check to see if there is a lump or something were he was petting him because that is what happened to my dog xxx don't be worried if there is a lump xxx just take him to the vets

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sociopathic behaviour herditary? [ 7 Answers ]

Lately I've received copies of several medical records for both of my biological parents (both are deceased). I wanted these files primarily because I'm expecting my first child and want my family to be as healthy as possible, and I also for my own health information. I've been going over my...

Puppy behaviour help needed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I need some advice if at all possible please. I have a 10 month old puppy - a chocolate lab/weimaraner cross - and we also have four ferrets. The ferrets are used to being out of their cages and having the run of the house for most of the day, but since we got the puppy, they have had to...

Weird behaviour [ 3 Answers ]

My siamese cat, nearly 10 years old, has a weird behaviour which I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of... right after I give him a special treat and he eats it, he goes to my bedroom and howls piteously for about 10 minutes, unless I tell him to be quiet or pay attention to him. This only...

Strange pet/people behaviour [ 15 Answers ]

:p I often find myself talking to my pets like they can really understand me. My Jack Russell keeps sticking his bottom in my German Shepherds face, falling asleep in plant pots and making strange grunting sounds when he sleeps. We used to have a pet crow who could talk (no lie)... only a few...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search