Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragon63 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 07:56 AM
    No dial tone with Verizon new phone line
    Hey everybody how's it going?

I'm having a problem with a new phone line I ordered from Verizon. There is no dial tone even though they said that the service has been established. I've done the NID test and there is no dial tone from the NID, so I think the problem is there. I think I've pinpointed the problem to the green and red wires, but I don't know where to go from there. (don't know much about phonelines or electrical wiring/repair, etc.) Everyone else in the apartment building seems to have the red and green wires connected except for me. There are no wires even for me to attach otherwise I would just try that. As I understand it, these are the wires for the primary phone line and they should have attached them when they set up the phone line. How can they say service has been established when it clearly hasn't been connected? Anyway, I don't know if this is my responsibility to fix this or if I should call Verizon and wait another god knows how long until they can repair it. Basically, are the green and red wires up to me to connect or will they do that for free? Hoping someone can shed some light,

Thank you,

:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Unless you are paying for line coverage, Verizon's responsibility ends with the NID. If you can connect a phone directly to the NID and get a dialtone, don't call them. If you can't call them.

Jun 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Ok thank you, I did call them and a technician is coming out on Monday. Since I can't get a dial tone on the NID, I believe the problem is with the red and green wires like I described. Just wondering if those wires are considered Verizon's responsibility to hook up since they are in the NID or if I will be charged for them to connect them? Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
    I'm not sure what wires you refer to. Most NIDs that I've seen have a regular RJ-11 jack on them so you can plug in a phone or wire a jack.

Jun 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Well from what I can tell, the red and green wire combination is pretty common in NID's and refers to the primary phone line (as part of the four strand wire). They need to be connected inside the NID somehow but apparently mine were not and I have no idea how to do this. So hopefully the next Verizon tech that comes out will actually know what they're doing and finish the job they started. Thanks again for your help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 11:59 AM
    If it's an apartment complex, you have no idea what pair your line is on. Your correct, in the telco side of the box, your line is conneted to a surge supressor. The little box with the red/green screw is usually a 1/2 ringer. This puts a load on the telephone line, so with nothing attached it behaves as a ringer with a load of 0.5 REN,

Your lines will typically be the blue/wht and wht/blue pairs.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Jun 12, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Look to see where your line is coming from. It's either an underground drop which should come in to the bottom of your box(NID). Or if it's an aerial drop from the top. You might not be able to get into their side of the box unless it's an old style that just goes to two lugs where everything would be terminated. If you can see the pair that is connected follow the wires from there to where your inside wire connects to. Polarity isn't too much of an issue if you just have dial tone. Your first line is either your blue/white or Red/Green. It's also possible that you have trouble past the box if you do have your inside wires connected. In that case remove all the inside wiring and check for dial tone at your box. Just remember which pairs and colors you removed. Now reconnect the inside wires one pair at a time while checking for dial tone. If you have it and lose it after connecting a pair odds are you have trouble on that pair or the equipment attached to that pair.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 06:42 AM
    I woud call your verizon number from neighbors phone or cell phone, If it rings busy, line could be shorted in inside wiring keeping you from getting a dial tone, disconnecting wires from outside box may restore dial tone, Went to one house with no dial tone, found someone had knocked phone off hook and phone under bed. I knew it was off hook as it only had 6-9 volts, and not the usual 48 or so "On hook". Remember where wires went. Maybe remove a phone jack and see what colors are connected to wall plate red and green. Is it red and green, or white/blue and blue/white?

Jun 18, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Thanks for the help. The wire problem is located in the NID box outside and Verizon is coming out tomorrow (after rescheduling yet again) and hopefully will be able to fix the problem as it is their mistake after all. I know exactly what is wrong inside the NID box and all it would take is 5 minutes to get a dial tone. Seriously all they have to do is connect the red and green wires to my apartment box in the NID (which is very clearly labeled).

Now the *real* problem seems to be getting Verizon to actually come back out here to correct their own mistake. They are still charging me for a phone line even though it's not working yet and it is their own damn fault. This whole process has been very annoying and I would never recommend Verizon to anyone out there. Stay as far away from them as possible lol...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone rings, DSL works, but no dial tone [ 4 Answers ]

My landline is doing something odd. The DSL works just fine and the filters are installed correctly, but I have no dial tone. The phone will ring and caller ID works, but when I pick up there's nothing. When I hang up it continues to ring. This is happening on all the jacks. I have tried...

Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the...

Landline phone DSLyes but no audio dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, All of a sudden (high wind weather went through the other night). Coincidence maybe. Now singlr line phone system has DSL that still works but audio / dial tone do not work. Unplugged all phones and plugged back in one at atime and still no dial tone. Opened box on out side and...

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search