Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyfouchea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Liability insurance
    I have been making herbal soaps and selling to my immediate friends and family, but now strangers want to buy and I need to find out what kind of insurance I should carry and where to get it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Talk to some insurance agents. You do need liability insurance in case your products cause harm.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Hello amy:

The leap from selling to friends and family, to selling to the public, in my view, isn't a gradual one. It's my bet that you're going to need more than just insurance. I say that, if for no other reason than I'll bet you'll find liability insurance for your product to be VERY expensive - probably more expensive than you can afford just selling a few bars of soap here and there. So the costs of that alone are going to force you into either starting your business and giving it a real chance of success, or going back to just selling to family.

Although, I don't think you have any LESS liability just selling to your family. I mean, they'll sue you too - maybe even quicker than the public would.

In addition, I'll bet your insurance carrier is going to require that you run more of a professional organization than running it out of your home. They may require that you have the proper health department inspections of your facility, and a license from them. Now I don't know about soap, but they won't license a home kitchen for commercial use. So, it's my bet that they won't license your home for commercial use, either.

All I'm saying here, is that if you want to take your business to the next level, then do it. I LOVE entrepreneurship. I'm just trying steer you in the right direction as to exactly WHAT that next level might entail.

If you want some answers to these questions, you can buy a good business plan software package for about $50. It'll guide you through ALL the decision making stuff you need to do before you take the next step.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pitbull (Renter Liability Insurance) [ 20 Answers ]

I am a home renter living in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Does anybody knows if it's possible to get a dog liability insurance? My only problem is the dog is a pitbull.

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Pitbull dog liability insurance [ 8 Answers ]

Where can I buy liability insurance for my pitbull? Our county has just passed a law banning pits unless you meet several requirements within 30 days and can charge $25-50@day plus seize your pit. Please help me out with some adivice on where to get the insurance at an affordable rate. Thxs,...

Insurance Liability [ 12 Answers ]

Car A is exiting a parking lot. Car A pauses just short of the aisle leading to the curbcut to wait for a delivery van to get clear. Car B comes down the next aisle turns into the aisle behind Car A. Car B then passes Car A on the left and makes a right in front of Car A hitting Car A on the point...

Bond and liability insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just started a small business in cleaning. Do I need general liability insurance or business insurance and bond in the same time?thanks

View more questions Search