Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 12, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Cost of Goods Sold
    I am having a hard time with this problem. I have to solve for each letter, and this is what it gives me:

merchandise inventory (beg) - I
    Purchases - 338
    Purchase Returns and Allowances - j
    freight-in - 58
    net cost of purchases - k
    goods available for sale - 424
    merchandise inventory (end) - L
    COGS - 358

COGS is cost of goods available for sale - merchandise inventory (end), so 424-L=358. L then is 66.
    Now in order to get goods available for sale (424), you take merchandise inventory (end) + net cost of purchase, so I+k=424.
    In order to get Net cost of purchases, you have to take purchases, subtract returns and allowances, and add freight-in. 338-j+58=k. Simplified, its 396-j=k.
    How do you solve for that?

I+(396-j)=424
    I-j=28

it also gives me the rest of the income statement, but I don't think that helps much here since I'm only having trouble with the COGS part of this question.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
    With the given information, there isn't any way to solve it, since you end up with two variables.

I don't see what else would be available on the income statement to help, since nothing else on there affects this, and the inventory is a balance sheet account. The only other thing would be if you had last year's balance sheet, which would have ending inventory, which is this year's beginning inventory.

Otherwise, I don't see a way to solve it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schedule Cost of goods manufactured and cost of goods sold [ 10 Answers ]

I am taking my first class in Accounting and I am having difficulties with my homework. I have the following problem, that I have done in several ways and I always get an answer that is greater that the correct one. These are the figures (in thousands of dollars): Direct Labor Cost: $10,500...

Find Cost of goods sold and ending inventory using.average cost/FIFO/LIFO [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a hard time with the fifo and lifo method... of this question Began with 73 yards @ 23 per yard During the month the company made the following purchases. March 3/4 113 yards @ 27 3/12 81 yards @ 29 3/19 167 yards @ 32 3/25 44 yards @ 35

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Cost of goods sold [ 3 Answers ]

I have never grasped the concept of working backwards into a number. THe problem I am working on says that the cost of goods sold is equal to 300% of selling expenses. I was given the following numbers to work with: Freight-in $60,000 Purchase returns $130,000 Selling expenses $300,000 Ending...

View more questions Search