Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hollaback_girl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing
    What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused:

Thanks in advance.

-HBG
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Can you provide a context? In computer parlance Front end usually means the interface that the user sees, while back end is the processing or data. So this might mean the difference between writing documentation for user or for the programmer.
    Hollaback_girl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Thanks, Scott. I came across a job interview where the company was looking for a back-end writer; not a front-end. I was thinking that front-end were the docs in the beginning of the SDLC? And back-end were the last of the documents? (I was "guessing", remember.)

I think you're right, though. What do you mean by "context"? What kind of stuff does the end-user see vs. the processing writing?

THANK YOU for your response. I really appreciate it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2006, 04:52 PM
    What I mean by context is the sentence or paragraph the term was included in. Often phrases are defined by their context.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2006, 02:01 AM
    my guess:

back-end =
    a technical writer who takes the technical data that is required to be presented to technical staff will be editing for clarity the writing, but must check often from supervisors any material that may not be changed because it is scientific in nature. An example is a person presenting the technical material on a web site as required by law about operations of a phone company or it's equipment for a public utility.

front-end=
    material that will used by the non technical. An example is a help file for a computer program, you must include more simple information but must format using the industry standards such that everyone can understand what the meaning inplies about the use of the product.

to review, back-end is taking writing that may appear sloppy or disorganized but often has information that can not be changed, and without changing the scientific and exact context doing what can be done to conform to the best practices of modern english. Front-end is often over simplified to purpose and content explaining.

well there is a lot more to be said about technical writing, but I suggest you take a few college courses to learn more, or get on the job training. Good luck

well I guess I answered your question correctly, if not I tried. Sorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

M-tech in distance mode [ 1 Answers ]

I completed my degree in B.Sc(computers).just now I completed my post graduation in M.B.A.I want to do M-tech now .Can you tell me about the details of the M-tech in distance mode

Computer repair tech Freelance [ 3 Answers ]

I am considereing investing in an A+ computer repair tech course Someone told me that companies such as Gatewy use freelance contractors to service their home computer warranties and support I would want to freelance Thank You

Support tech [ 2 Answers ]

When you call support tech they know everything what to do in a book or something? How does one like myself get the same book or info they do when they are talking to you over the phone? I would like to have the same informaion they have. Thank you [email protected]

I can't find a tech job. I need help. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 26 year old professional in the IT field. I was recently laid off from a company that is going out of business. I have been out of work for a few months now. I have tried everything; Resume professionaly done, job fairs, contacted consultants, signed up for every career finder website...

View more questions Search