Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etmrdr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Should I file for s.s. disability when I have private long-term disability insurance?
    I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Normally if you read the terms of the insurance policy they will expect you to file after a certain period.

It is up to the terms of the policy if they work together to pay equal to the 60 percent. Most will, but again it is according to the terms of your policy.
    Also how long is the long term disabiity policy for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long Term Insurance Disability [ 4 Answers ]

I am on long term disablity through my former employer's insurance. That employer is going out of business. Does this affect my disablity insurance support? Thank you

Long Term Disability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I have had to stop working because of a medical disability. I have a Long Term Disability Insurance policy with my employer that will start paying me 60% of my base salary after 90 days of total disability. I cannot find out if my medical insurance will stay in effect during this coverage. Also,...

Short Term Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I had neck surgery in August 2007 and will be out of work until Feb. 2008. I received five checks from the insurance company, then they called and stated they had made a mistake and I was NOT eligible for short term disability. Now they want the money back. Of course I have used the money to pay...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search