Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larahayley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Central a/c - fan auto or fan on to cool down?
    I'm subletting a loft for the summer and when I moved in a few weeks ago the central air was working fine. Then it kept getting stuck at 80. I noticed the water heat was on - there was firing bruning under it - so I thought that might be why it was not cooling down inside so I lowere the water heater to "warm" still my a/c is stuck at 80. My a/c has a heat and cool option so I have it on cool and it has a fan on and fan auto option - which one do I want to be on, fan on or fan auto?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Fan On = fan runs all the time
    Fan Auto = fan runs when A/C is running

So, if it cool in one part of your loft (which I doubt) you can use Fan On to move the air around without running the A/C. More likely, you'll need the A/C on to cool things down.

An A/C unit will basically drop the outside temperature by "x" degrees. If the outdoor temp when you moved in was cooler than it is now, that might be why it seemed to work back then. As the outdoor temp rises, the A/C can only drop it by "x" degrees, and it cannot go lower than 80 at the current outdoor temp.

There could be a problem with the A/C unit that makes "x" too small. Since you are renting, I'd contact the super about it.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the air from central air condition cool enough? [ 2 Answers ]

The Return temperature = 80 Out of the air condition = 73 Is my central air condition working fine? Is the air cool enough? thank

Central AC and Heat will not shut off and is blowing cool air [ 4 Answers ]

Our central air and heating system is not shutting off and it is blowing cool air. Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it? Should we change the air filter? We have already changed the batteries in the thermostat.

Central air doesn't cool [ 2 Answers ]

I am not getting cool with my Rheem central air system. Why might this system not be blowing cold air?

Blower will only work in Heat, not Fan-On or Cool-Auto [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a York system about 10 years. Its control board keep giving me problem. Most last year was the connection problem of the socket where the t-stat's 4 wires go in. I finally soldered a fly-wire for the W for heating issue last winter to fix it. Now, the summer comes and the cooling is...

Central air conditioning unit auto shut off does not kick in [ 3 Answers ]

Our central air conditioner would not start. Since we had this covered under our utility provider's WorryFree Services program, they sent a technician to look into the problem. The technician had to replace something like a transformer which had died due to old age. The airconditioner runs now...

View more questions Search