Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alienated Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Wife being sued by landlord after husband moved out
    My husband and I went into a contract to Lease to Own a house. During the time we lived there we got behind on the payments for the deposit and he moved out. Now the landlord has taken me to small claims to recover the money and now garnishing my wages. Is there anything I can do to have my ex pay half of the remaining balance due,since I did not go into the agreement alone:confused: ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Sue him, in divorce court add that as part of the settlement
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Can't rate, got to spread, but Fr_Chuck is correct.

You will have to sue him to regain part of your loss.

You must have been the easier target, with a better chance to collect from, for them to have come after you first, or you alone.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
    You can also sue him in Small Claims Court, depending on the dollar amount. But you must keep in mind that if you ASKED him to leave it can be construed as constructive eviction and he may not be responsible.

I don't know what the exact circumstances of his leaving were, of course.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2008, 06:19 PM
    There is also the issue of the terms of the contract. Generally in a contract for sale, if the buyer defaults, the owner just takes back the hone and keeps whatever has been paid. I'm surprised you were sued for the amount of the contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

My Wife moved out of the home [ 1 Answers ]

Help!! My wife moved out of the home with our 5 and 3 year old children 5 months ago. She moved to her fathers house 2 hours away and in another state - from New York to New Jersey. The children are not in any danger. The reason for the move is my wife did not like the neighborhood or...

Lease not signed by landlord, & I never moved in? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was going to rent an apartment last June, was required to sign the lease prior to move-in. She signed on June 2nd, was to move in on June 23rd. Cancelled Move-in on the 10th of June. We just today received a summons in the amount of $7,000+, was charged for rent till re-rented...

Ex-wife moved out of state [ 2 Answers ]

Yes me and my ex-wife fought it out in court for custody of my 11 yr old daughter I was awarded joint custody and only 5 months after our divorce and 4000 dollars later she abused my dauhter nothing major just pulled her hair and twisted her arm. But was enough for me to go ballistic. Once I...

My wife got sued [ 1 Answers ]

My wife got sued by Asset Acceptance Management LLC she never got served papers so she didn't know about a court date until a final judgement was put against her. I don't know what to do I was out of work 6 months had to take a low paying job am in loss mitigation with the mortgage company. My...

View more questions Search