Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Sidebends-Worth it?
    Are sidebends really worth doing? I've read that they help with your abs and other places say that it just helps your back and isn't worth it if you're trying to build good abs
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Well there are a lot of different opinions, but I've been doing side bend exercises with dumbbells for about 30 years now. And it has kept my abs pretty firm and my waist line under control, ( if only in my mind! ) I do three sets of about 30 throughout the day. Along with a lot of other exercises, but I've always felt that the side bends along with general exercise, kept my body in pretty good shape after having 4 kids and throughout the years.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
    I consider some form of resistance stimulation of the external obliques a part of your core workout. Sure... it isn't hitting the rectus abdominus 6 pack, but it does strengthen your midsection and is an overall part of cranking in your waist. Many exercises that focus on your central abs stress your core, so you need to work the entire region.

I tend to use two machines. A weighted pulley for side bends with resistance and a machine I bought last year on supersale at a closing sharper image called the Love Handler. I'm generally skeptical of the latest take home wonder machines, but it was super cheap on fire sale and it's a nice workout. I curse it daily.

So don't neglect this area just because you are focusing on your 6 pack. It all ties together. Also other core challenging moves like squats or lunges tighten you up. Pilates is great. Seriously... if you don't think it's a workout you try doing a controlled pilates-type situp as easily and gracefully as an instructor.

As for your abs, my workout is bicycle or pike crunches, plank, pilates-style situps and half rollbacks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

Is it worth it [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for about 2 years and we just moved to Denver from Hawaii. A couple of months after we got here we started changing and now she has said that she dosen't want to be in a relationship anymore, she just want's to have her life back and possibly to start dating...

Self-worth - what do you do to take care of your self-worth? [ 21 Answers ]

I think we are all so great to take care of others, however how can we learn to take care of ourselves more? What things can one do to take care of their own self-worth, self-respect, etc.

Are they worth it? [ 9 Answers ]

I was just wondering if u think long distance relationships are worth it and actually work for people?:confused:

Is it worth it? [ 15 Answers ]

I just had my baby boy last month and my baby's father informed me last week that his current girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. I broke up with him while pregnant. I really didn't have a solid reason for doing so. I think it was the raging hormones. In the meantime, he went and got a girlfriend and...

View more questions Search