Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glynnk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2006, 10:18 PM
    Basement backup
    Hello,

Our house in Wisconsin was built in the late 20's and does not have drain tile or a sump pump. After most large rainfalls we get water coming up from cracks in the floor. We will probably be putting in tiles and a pump because that alone is a huge pain.

After this last large rainfall in addition to the usual water, we also got backup (it looks like sludge and t.p.) from our floor drain. We had it professionally snaked out about 2 years ago, the first and only other time it happened. They pulled out some roots. My question is, Do I need to have this done regularly or can I purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic, that you've mentioned in the past? Is that safe for pipes?

Also why does this happen? We are in the city and you've mentioned contacted the dept. of Sanitation. What can they or should they do?

Thank you,
    Kerri
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 9, 2006, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnk
    My question is, Do I need to have this done regularly or can I purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic, that you've mentioned in the past? Is that safe for pipes?
    Good news: you probably won't have to snake the line regularly if you care for it properly from now on. Here's how: once you get rid of the current load of roots by snaking, your goal is to inhibit future root growth. The cheapest, easiest, and safest-for-pipes method (and very effective, too) is to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate (I've been told that you can even find it at Home Depot or Lowe's, but I haven't confirmed this personally). Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat every six months or so, and hopefully you won't ever have any more root problems, as long as you keep up this routine.

RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer are both very good, but also very expensive - they can be as much as $50 for a lousy two pounds. Your best bet is the fine-grain copper sulphate.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Comment on this Post" in the upper-right corner of this post. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Toilet Backup, how to remove the smell? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently a friend of mine had their basement toilet backup sewage into the basement. The plumber figured out there were tree roots in the sewer which lead to the problem and ended up fixing it. They removed all of the carpet and other materials affected by the backup, but the smell remains. I...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Basement drain backup [ 11 Answers ]

I only have one floor drain in my basement, and it is near the hot water heater and the sump. I have a septic system also. I noticed some water around the floor drain, about 3' in diameter. I thought that my sump pump had failed, but when I lifted the bulb it worked. There wasn't enough water in...

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

Backup [ 1 Answers ]

I have Server Dell 4400 power edge OS: NT 4 Server with Service Pack 6 Tape Drive: Compaq DLT7000 External Backup Software: Arc Serve 2000 When I take the backup, it starts successfully and after finishing the First tape it asks for the second tape to continue, when we insert second Tape....

View more questions Search