Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loser101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Cant solve
    a student fails to study for a 9 question true/false test. What is the probability of him getting 5 answers correct?

the answer is 63/256.

how is that the answer??
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Wow, I would never have done this like this and it took me a while to figure out how they got that fractional answer. I got the decimal version (.246) by doing a binomial.

A probability is the number of ways to get the "favorable" outcome divided by the number of ways to get any possible outcome.

i.e. how many ways to get 5 of 9 of them correct divided by how many ways to do the entire test.

I actually figured out the denominator of that first. For each question, there are two possible outcomes: true or false. You do this step 9 times. This is the multiplication rule. Number of outcomes for the first step times the number of outcomes for the second step, and so on. So 2 x 2 x 2... a total of 9 times. Or 2^9. Which is 512. So there are 512 possible ways you could answer this test. (Seems incredible, but true.)

Now for the numerator.. the number of ways for the 'favorable' outcome. The favorable outcome is getting 5 of them correct. So you have a combination of ways to pick 5 out of 9. i.e. how many ways can you get 5 of the 9 answers correct?

(I only figured that out cause I had the 126 already written down from doing my binomial and then realized how it fit into this.)

So 126 ways you can pick 5 of 9. And 512 total possible ways to answer the test.

126/512 reduces to 63/256.

I would never have thought to do it this way, but it worked so I'm assuming my reasoning is correct. If someone else could confirm this... because despite it coming out correct, something's bugging me about that numerator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solve [(86400*n^2)/2^n]<1 solve n [ 3 Answers ]

Could you Please solve this problem <1 solve n

How do I solve this [ 3 Answers ]

How do u solve this 7(8-5)+3 ------------ 2 3 - 3

How do I solve this? [ 1 Answers ]

A hospital has an operating room used only for eye surgery. The annual cost of heat, rent, and electricity for the operating room and its equipment is $190,000 and the annual salaries for the people who staff this room total $265,000. Each surgery performed requires the use of $390 worth of medical...

How do I solve this? [ 2 Answers ]

3(x+4) <or= 3x

Solve [ 3 Answers ]

A stone is dropped from a tower of 100 meter height and another stone is thrown vertically up words with a velocity of 25 meter/second. When and where the two stones meet?

View more questions Search