Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Shampoo
    Is it true that you should change shampoos every once in a while, because your hair gets used to the shampoo? And if so, is this true even if you're already using an expensive salon shampoo? Thanks.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 01:11 PM
    I smell an Urban Legend with that one. The hair itself is dead, and I don't see how dirt and oil can "get used to" the shampoo and therefore become resistant to it.

PS: Did find this here:
    “It's a load of nonsense. Your hair doesn't have the intelligence to get used to something. People like to change their shampoo because of the smell or to try something different, not because your hair is suddenly disagreeing with it.”
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 9, 2006, 01:43 PM
    You don't need to switch shampoos because your hair might be getting used to it. That is true. But if you aren't getting the results you used to get, you might need to get a clarifying shampoo to use every once in a while. Shampoos and conditioners have ingredients that can build up on the hair and weigh it down. Clarifying shampoos can remove this build up and allow your shampoo to do its job. I'm not an expert in hair care but I asked my best friend, who is a stylist!
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Thanks guys. I guess what I meant by the hair getting used to the shampoo is what you say Mrs. Pennell, that you don't get the same results as before. I've also noticed that shampoos only work nicely on my hair for a while and then my hair gets limp. A stylist a while back told me I needed to switch shampoos periodically, so I wanted to be sure... she didn't explain it well. The build-up idea seems more plausible. I will try the clarifying shampoo, maybe that's what I need, thanks!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:25 PM
    or you can do like my wife and daughter do...

they get tired of shampoo and want to change for whatever reason, send it to daddy workoff.

I don't care if my hair smells fruity. I don't care if it gives me more volume. Soap = clean. Yippie.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 9, 2006, 02:27 PM
    No problem! I have the same problem. My hair is really fine and I also colour it so I usually alternate between two shampoos. One is for fine hair so that it isn't really limp and the other one is for coloured hair so that my colour doesn't fade out too fast. That works for me!
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    or you can do like my wife and daughter do...

they get tired of shampoo and want to change for whatever reason, send it to daddy workoff.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean they give you the leftover shampoo and then buy another brand? LOL. My husband just uses whatever I use, so it wouldn't really work in my case, but thanks anyway, haha!
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:41 PM
    yeah.

I hardly ever buy shampoo. When they get tired of the berry smelling, big volume, color retaining, curling-straightening-whatevering shampoo they give it to me to workoff.

I wondered once if she gave me the dog shampoo cause I thought we had some and then it was gone..? =)

oh well. Its just hair.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:45 PM
    Errrr... dog shampoo. Yuck. Haha. Men who don't care about their hair are so lucky because you have so much less to worry about! I envy you!
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Errrr... dog shampoo. Yuck. Haha. Men who don't care about their hair are so lucky because you have so much less to worry about!! I envy you!
    well when your hair is less than an inch long, there just isn't a whole lot you can do to it that's wrong.

wow. I just posted three times talking about my hair. That's, like, my quota for the year.

must go lift heavy things now. Grunt. Grunt. Grunt. =)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 11, 2006, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Is it true that you should change shampoos every once in a while, because your hair gets used to the shampoo? And if so, is this true even if you're already using an expensive salon shampoo? Thanks.
    Orange, shampooing can be done as often (ideally every alternate day) as required to keep the hair clean and healthy, as long as you condition regularly. Shampoos do not work differently on hair over time. Conditioning elements, styling products, and chemical processes do build up, and sometimes necessitate a temporary change in shampoo brands, but hair doesn't adapt to shampoo.

If you are using professional salon shampoos, you may never need to worry about build ups, they continue to work effectively as long as you use them. But water conditions can affect how some products react with your hair. Differences in water condition may prompt you to change to a different kind shampoo. Also, oral medications comes out in the hair. If you find that your shampoo is fine for a few days and then your hair becomes weighted down or coated, it may be from the factors that I've mentioned above. If your hair gets build ups, there's no need to switch shampoos, use an anti-residue shampoo or a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove the build up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are all of those shampoo ads lies? [ 7 Answers ]

Well, my hair is naturally dark, long and straight, and I've always liked to kept it "smooth and sleek" always super straight. But I did a BIG damage to my hair, I was brushing my hair with one of those roll on brushes and i was in such a hurry that morining that it got all caught and tangled in my...

Vosene Shampoo [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I bought vosene original shampoo yesterday as I was advised it would fade my already fading dark hair colour. Has anybody else tried vosene shampoo and has it worked for you? If so how long does it take? Thanks

View more questions Search