Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
    A/C pan rusted and leaks, coil rusted
    I have just been told that my pan is rusted out and dripping into an aux. pan and that my coil is rusted and I should get a new unit. I was told that in 2010 freon regulations will change and if I just change the coil and then I need freon, I will have to replace the coil again to conform to the new unit that will not take the old freon.

Any comments on this?:confused:

ALSO, WOULD YOU REPLACE OR GET A HEAT PUMP? We live in a 100 year old house--attic insulation, wooden walls, 4 Ton has cooled for 14 years.
    Electrical bills easily run in the 200 or 300 range during hot New Orleans summers.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
    The coil is made of aluminum and copper and basically will not rust but it can corrode and the side panels can rust.

A new coil is available for all units. The newer coils will work with R-22 just as they will work with the new R-410.

If you replace the old coil with a new coil now the new coil will be rated for R-410 so you need not worry about replacement in the future. Just use the same coil for R-410 when the time arrives.

Heat pumps can save a lot of money in the winter for heating but a heat pump will not save you money in the summer for A/C mode.

Get at least 2 estimates for both repair and replacement and let your wallet be your guide.
    The newer equipment is more energy efficient so if you go with new you will save $$$ on your utility bill.
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
    THANKS! I was hoping that was the case. I have made two appts. With reputable dealers/repairmen in the area. REALLY APPRECIATE SOME PEOPLE KNOWING ALL THIS STUFF--I SURE DON'T

Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    The coil is made out of aluminum and copper and basically will not rust but it can corrode and the side panels can rust.

A new coil is available for all units. The newer coils will work with R-22 just as they will work with the new R-410.

If you replace the old coil with a new coil now the new coil will be rated for R-410 so you need not worry about replacement in the future. Just use the same coil for R-410 when the time arrives.

heat pumps can save a lot of money in the winter for heating but a heat pump will not save you money in the summer for A/C mode.

Get at least 2 estimates for both repair and replacement and let your wallet be your guide.
    The newer equipment is more energy efficient so if you go with new you will save $$$ on your utility bill.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
    No problem let us know how it all works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hole in tub rusted and too big [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Plumbing Geniuses, I have a bath tub that looks like it has been leaking for years at the tub drain. Consequently, the hole in the bottom of the tub is rotten and rusted around the edges, and bigger than it should be. The new drain replacement will not fit securely and there could be...

Replacing rusted flange [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old cabin on a lake. We need to replace the toilet and the flange is rusted to the other piece in the floor. How do we get it up?

Rusted Bolts on Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my toilet and need to remove the tank. Unfortunately the bolts are rusted and stripped so I can't remove the nuts/bolts. What should I do?

Washer hose rusted on [ 1 Answers ]

My brother in law just bought an old house, from the 50's. As they were installing the new washer they noticed the old cold water hose was rusted on to the vavle. After numerous attempts with WD40 two pipe wrenches and two guys the thing still has not budged. In an attempt to possibly screw off...

Dyi rusted toilet flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to. The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top...

View more questions Search