Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harshipsandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Cashing out part of IRA or ROTH IRA due to Hardship
    Can you tell me what are the reasons that you can claim hardship on an IRA or ROTH IRA? I have been unemployed for over a year and need to cashing some of my IRA to just pay bills and live. Are there penalties and taxes that need to be paid on this money?

Thanks,
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
    For withdrawals from a traditional IRA you will owe a 10% early withdrawal penalty for distributions if you are under 59-1/2 unless you meet an exception:

•You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    •The distributions are not more than the cost of your medical insurance.
    •You are disabled.
    •You are the beneficiary of a deceased IRA owner.
    •You are receiving distributions in the form of an annuity.
    •The distributions are not more than your qualified higher education expenses.
    •You use the distributions to buy, build, or rebuild a first home.
    •The distribution is due to an IRS levy of the qualified plan.
    •The distribution is a qualified reservist distribution.

In addition to the early withdrawal penalty, for a traditional IRA you will also owe ordinary income tax on the portion of the withdrawal due to deductible contributions and earnings.

For a Roth IRA - if you withdraw money that has been in the account less than 5 years it is considered an early withdrawal, and you will owe the 10% early withdrawal penalty unless you meet one of the exceptions described above. You will also owe income tax on the portion of the withdrawal due to earnings if the money has been in the account less than 5 years. If the money has been in your Roth IRA more than 5 years, you have no income tax or penalty due.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

70's movie part live action / part cartoon [ 3 Answers ]

It was about a boy who found a dragon (the dragon was the cartoon part) and a family tried to take it away from him. They were trying to make a profit off him or something. Its characters look run-down kind of like chimney sweepers back in the day.

Cashing out part of my 401k reinvesting the rest [ 6 Answers ]

I Am Starting A New Job Which Does Not Have 401k I Would Like To Cash Out Part Of The Money And Reinvest The Rest Do You Have Any Suggestion On How I Go About Doing This.

2 part Sodium + 1 part Barium = ? [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me.. its urgent What is the resultant of 2 parts of Sodium and 1 part of Barium? Also tell me the chemical formula of the resultant. Its very urgent. Thanks in advance. Nida

Spouse outside US for part and in US for part of the year - file single or joint ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US (RI) since Aug 2006. My wife has been living and working in India all this time. However, in Aug 2007, she came to the US (CA) on an independent work visa. For financial year 2007, would it be beneficial / correct for us to file taxes individually or jointly...

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

View more questions Search