Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luigi1111 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Non-Toxic Flea repellent
    Does anyone use a natural flea repellent for their dog? Does it work? How often do you use it?
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Try Frontline Plus... It protect the animal against fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
    luigi1111 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Is it natural, or chemical?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 10, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Garlic works well and dog also is protected against vampires
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Hartz has a powder that has herbs and oils in it that is natural. Green container. I just threw mine away a few days ago or I would tell you the name of it. It really makes them smell good, as for how good it works -probably the same as the rest of the products. I bought it last year when we had a terrible problem with fleas.

I also used sargents otc flea medicine as well as frontline and not a damned thing helped for long. The vet said our area was hit hard because of such a mild winter. So with different flea remedies and vacuming and bombing my house I got them under control. I also used boric powder for the yard and sprinkled powder under my furniture and in places that the animals could not get to.

It is important to keep your grass cut short, leave no old debris lying around and keep up grass, weed and tree branchs, fleas like to breed under them. Knock on wood all of my animals are free flea this year and I have six animals, I have not used 1 flea product so far.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 07:28 PM
    You can also add nematodes to your yard, if water isn't an issue. Although fleas apparently don't live in hot dry soil either, so it's only the other parts that you need to treat. The nematodes eat immature fleas, thus helping to keep them off your pets.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Although fleas apparently don't live in hot dry soil either,.
    No, they don't. They need the right temp and esp humidity to hatch. That's why your air conditioner is one of the 2 best weapons against fleas establishing themselves in a house. (Vacuum cleaner is the other weapon)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
    I use and have used for years - 20 Mule Team Borax on the dog (sparingly) and on the carpeting or bedding in the house to rid the area of fleas. Cheap, and works every time. No risk of allergic reaction to people either.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 12, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Found this in a book: sassafrass wood or branches with the bark on supposed to naturally repel fleas. Maybe you could use some wood chips or blocks under the cushion in the pets bedding?
    nicole lombard Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 10:46 AM
    My 5 week old poodle puppies have fleas , what can I use to control the fleas on them.

Jun 15, 2008, 10:48 AM
    [QUOTE=nicole lombard]my 5 week old poodle puppies have fleas , what can I use to control the fleas on them. They keep scratching.

Jun 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
    [QUOTE=nicole lombard][QUOTE=nicole lombard]My 5 week old poodle puppies have fleas bad from their mother. Is their any kind of spray or something I can use to control them.]
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Nicole call your vet, they will tell you the safest way to do it.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 17, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole lombard
    my 5 week old poodle puppies have fleas , what can i use to control the fleas on them.
    Bathe them. If the label on flea shampoo sez they're too young, any soap will do (like baby shampoo). But controlling the area is impt or fleas will reinfest. Vacuum carefully and everywhere; immed remove vac bag, seal it in plastic bag and dispose. Pay particular atten to the pups' bedding - change and wash old. If you're too worried about pesticides around the puppies yet, try boric acid powder on the floors. Vac up every few days and re-apply. (It abrades the flea bodies and helps to dry them out so they die but should be no prob f/ pups.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toxic shame [ 13 Answers ]

What do you know about Toxic shame? This is a little I have read about it,how does this affect what we do as addicts? Addicts often carry a lot of shame which should not be theirs. Dealing with shame and absolving oneself of blame are important steps. When a child grows up with people who...

ABS Pipe Toxic [ 2 Answers ]

Does ABS pipe give off a toxic oily residue? I have a fish pond and each year for the past two years my fish have died. The only difference during the past two years from previous years is my having replaced the PCV pipe within the pond with ABS pipe because ABS piping is black and is not visible...

Non-toxic Finish Remover [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a product, either homemade or to purchase, to remove the finishes on furniture, woodwork or floors that is non-toxic? I think that I know of one that is called FastOrange? Any other Ideas? I am trying to help a friend to refinish his oak floors in an old house. I already...

Subtle Toxic Exposure? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All: I am writing to ask about the safety of long-term exposure to things that we pay little attention to. I was wondering about --city tap water-- and the exposure of chlorine over time. Is this a possible cancer cause to felines? Would bottled water be a better diet? I realize rural area...

Toxic chemicals and pets [ 4 Answers ]

Recently my wife sprayed her hair with Aqua Net unsented hair spray extra super hold. She was unaware that our dog was in the bathroom with her. The spray got into the dogs nose and it started caughing and gaging. Within 10 minutes the dog started seizing and convulsing. The spray contains the...

View more questions Search