Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jags_sn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 06:40 PM
    F1-h1 Dual Status
    Hi,

I was in OPT (Student from India) from June 2004-June 2005. My visa status changed to H-1 starting fom July 1st. While on OPT, I worked as Independent contractor and I got 1099 for $10000. I have 2 W2's from July through Dec.I pass the substantial presence test. I have to file as dual-status alien. Now I assume these are the forms that I have to file.

1040 NR
    SCHEDULE C for the 1099

Now my question is:

Do I have to put the $10000(thru 1099) in the 1040 NR and schedule C. Claim a standard deduction on this. Can I itemize the deductions?

If I claim the standard deduction, then $5000 is the taxable income. Is this the amount that I have to include in 1040.Say My income on H1B is $25000. Then I have to show that $30000 is my total income on 1040. Then claim a standard deduction.

Can I get personal exemptions on both 1040 NR and 1040.

I cannot claim itemized deduction on 1040NR and claim standard deduction on 1040. Is this statement right.

Please throw some light on these questions.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 09:06 PM
    Jags:

Since you pass the Substantial Presence Test, you do NOT have to file as dual status (if that was an option to begin with; please read the STICKY NOTE).

You must file as a resident alien, filing Form 1040 only with Schedule C and Schedule SE. Since you are filing as a resident alien, you will be able to claim the $5,000 standard deduction and $3,200 personal exemption.

You will be able to claim a variety of expenses on the Schedule C to offset some of that $10,000 in self-employment income.

Do not forget the four big deductions for Schedule C:

- Car and Truck expenses (which includes mileage while working your work projects) (Line #9).
    - Costs of your computer, monitor, printer and modem (which needs to be depreciated on Line #13); this assumes you are using your computer/laptop for your work.
    - Cost of your Internet Service Provider (this assumes you need Internet access for yor contract work; do not go overboard and claim it all, but you can at least a 25% of your ISP bill while on 1099 status).
    - Business use of the home (you'll need a separate Form 8829) for those computations.

Mar 8, 2006, 09:53 PM
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

I just ot one more question.

You have said that I have to file SCHEDULE SE. Why do I have to do that. I thought Im exempted from Self employment tax(Socia security and Medicare) as I was on OPT for which I got 1099.

Please explain this.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Your liability to self-employment taxes is driven by the fact that you will file as a resident alien, not whether you are on OPT or not.

Since you must file as a resident alien, you are technically liable for the self-employment tax, even though you earned the income while on F-1 status, when (theoretically) you are exempt from these taxes. This, however, violates the spirit of the law that exempts international students from self-employment taxes.

That was the advantage of filing dual-status when I initially gave that as a filing option. Unfortunately, that option does not apply any longer.

Recommend you try to file just the Schedule C and attach a cover letter stating that, as an international student, you were exempt from self-employment taxes during your OPT period. Attach a letter from your employer on company letterhead verifying the dates of employment (during the 1099 period), combined with a photocopy of the F-1 visa. With this documentary evidence of when you worked on 1099 and your F-1 visa status, the IRS may waive the self-employment. Of course, they may not as well. However, you lose nothing by trying.

Mar 10, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Thanks.What would be the safest expense(In amount) that I can show for the 1099 MISC Income. I don't have any receipts or documents that I can support.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Jags:

That depends on the nature of the work. If you traveled from client to client, your mileage costs will be significant.

Recommend you e-mail me at [email protected] so we can discuss this in more detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

A dual status? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I know there are lots of message about dual status on this site. However, I'm still confused by if I'm dual status. Could someone help me according to my situation? 6/2000 entered the States Sep 2004 to July 4, 2005 on OPT July 5,2005 on H1B status Re-entered the States on Oct 2005...

Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a H1-B with my present company valid from 20th October 2005. Before that I was working on OPT (F-1 visa) from June 30th 2005-19th Oct 2005. I am an Indian citizen. Which form do I use for filing my taxes?

Dual Status: F1 to GC [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, My husband and I got our GC, but we were F1 until June'05. IRS pub 519 says that in our case, there is the 1st year choice : resident for the entire year, or NR for the 1st part and then resident (but then, no standard deductions, only itemized). Because, we had scholarship...

Dual Status (F1+H1) [ 14 Answers ]

AtlantaTaxExpert and other experts, Background: Nationality : India Y2004 F1(OPT) : 20 days H1 : 345 days # of days in US during 2004 : 341

View more questions Search