Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Online forum etiquette
    When you ask for advice on a forum, and then someone replies, is it customary to thank your respondent afterwards? Or is this considered an unnecessary waste of forum space?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 05:41 PM
    I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule one way or another, but on all forums I've participated in, I always come back and say thank you, comment on the post and/or rate it. I appreciate when someone thanks me when I've answered a question, too. That way I know the question helped, and also that the person actually read it!
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Mar 9, 2006, 12:21 AM
    To me it doesn't matter, but it is always good to see someone reply and thank the responder. It means they read and undestood the point.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Hi, Anna,
    You have a very good question.
    As another stated, there are no "rules" for this.
    If you wish to show your appreciation, you can click on the "Comments on this Post" link, add your comments with "approval" or "disapproval" checked.
    But, you don't have to.
    One can always send a Private Message showing thanks, but not have to.
    One can also Post a "thank you", which is good because it lets us know that everything is OK, and if our answers have helped in any way. But, you don't have to.
    I do wish you the best, and have a great day.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 06:08 AM
    It is never a waste of time to say thanks. Posting back with what works and doesn't work helps make the site work and means more to me. There are some very good people here with outstanding knowledge in certain areas.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Actually, comments can be used to express thanks and to let us know if the post was helpful or not.
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Well, thanks. :) You've all cleared this up for me I think.
    From now on I will just re-post to show thanks and let people know I saw their responses, without worrying that it's silly.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
    It's always a nice gesture. Of course, sometimes certain posts receive many replies so trying to individually thank every one can become a bit cumbersome. An alternative can be to simply post a single "thank you to all" once you've received all the replies that you feel you need or want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I normally don't go back and check unless I see a thread coming back several times and then merely to see what a few others have written.

Thank you are nice, as is feed back but normally most of us just do this because we like to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Wedding etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Is it okay to wear a black dress/like a cocktail dress to an evening wedding?

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Wedding Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My sister's daughter is getting married soon. Sister is widowed and dating a guy (for several months). Sister wants Date to sit with her in the first pew (Sister will be walked down the aisle to sit in first pew). Daughter says it is her wedding and she does not want date to sit in the first pew...

Bad neighbor etiquette [ 9 Answers ]

My house is in a thick forest in Florida and we are experiencing a severe drought this year. Wildfires are common. Friday night my neighbor held a Memorial Day party that was, for lack of a better word to describe it, like Hee Haw revisited. I don't mind the loud music or beer-lagered guests or...

View more questions Search