Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2008, 08:41 AM
    How does an Internet business make money?
    I wonder how these free subscription websites like Yahoo and Facebook make money besides ads. I mean Facebook make hell of revenue. I doubt that its source of income are just the ads.
    Any idea :confused:

CB
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Why do you dobut it? Because that is the source of their revenue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Yes, there is a lot of money in adds, esp for very busy sites

Jun 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Hmmmmmm. So all those big dollars come from ads. Thanks for clarifying.

CB
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2008, 08:15 AM
    For example, Facebook alone makes upwards of $8 MILLION a month from click throughs on ads, now that's not small pocket change.

Google's main revenue stream comes from Ads, so there's huge money to be made from them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
    And my church web site makes about 10 bucks a month,

Jun 12, 2008, 12:22 AM
    And does someone know that how IMDB and other websites, that have movie and celebrity records, populate their database. I mean do they manually do it or is there some kind of centralized source that gives them regular updates?

CB

Jun 12, 2008, 06:11 AM
    I know IMDB relies on member postings. Though they may get a feed from the studios with basic information. It's the Wiki concept.

Jun 15, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I know IMDB relies on member postings. Though they may get a feed from the studios with basic information. Its the Wiki concept.
    But how come users have those detailed info about the cast and crew, especially the technical staff? :confused:
    Second, the basic info that you talked about, is there some way to subscribe to get that feed; I mean if I were to start up a company, what I have to do to get that feed?

GB
    moneybulls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Hi. There are many other way for these companies to make revenue beside ads. Some of these modes are, professional services in form of premium membership for more better services. Including Cost per action method, like travel service, Yahoo charges travel portals to enable its user to use travel search engines on their website.

Partnership revenue, reprint services. Etc are some other way these companies generate revenue.

Hope I'm clear. Thanks regards

Jun 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
    The credits of any movie list all the personnel

Jun 16, 2008, 09:27 PM
    The credits of any movie list all the personnel
    Scott I know that. But what I am asking is that is there a central database for that. Just think about all those lyrics sites out there. There are hundreds pf them. Is there a company that sells that data or all these companies write lyrics for themselves (or maybe the users write the lyrics - much like reinventing the wheel)?

CB
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammarian-Bot
    Scott I know that. But what I am asking is that is there a central database for that. Just think about all those lyrics sites out there. There are hundreds pf them. Is there a company that sells that data or all these companies write lyrics for themselves (or maybe the users write the lyrics - much like reinventing the wheel)?

CB
    I think that's probably a bit like guitar tabs, with the lyrics. Nobody is going to release the guitar tabs for all their songs, but you can find several versions for almost any song. They're all submitted by users who have too much time on their hands, like me.

Jun 17, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Chris is right. Again it's the Wikis concept.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Chris is right. Again its the Wikis concept.
    And by Wikis concept, you mean that users provide all the input.

CB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can anyone do business and make money together with many unemployed neighbors? [ 1 Answers ]

The unemployment rates are high here. Lots of our neighbors are unemployed. How can we, together with the unemployeds, do business so that they too will have a source of income?

How do I check a company or Internet Site with the Internet Better Business Bureau? [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find a company or Internet Website, that has not certificate etc. How do I check them out with the BBB for the Internet?

Sending goods and getting money in internet business ! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I want to start an internet business but don't have idea how to start and how to do. how I can deliver things to my clients ? How I can connect to my customers ? How I can get payment from my custormer in internet business? hope someone is kind enough to answer me these...

Tell me some business plans of internet business [ 1 Answers ]

I am Biomedical engineer. I have interest in food, restaurants, medical equipments. Is there any business plans for me? pl. guide me

View more questions Search