Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brittany1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
    How to have a baby
    OK I'm 17 years old I've been trying to have a baby for about 2 months, and nothing is working...
    What is the best way to get pregnant?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 10:42 PM
    1. Finish High School.
    2. Go to college.
    3. Get a good job.
    4. Meet a guy who ALSO has a good job.
    5. Put some money in savings because babies are EXPENSIVE, and I don't want to pay for yours with my taxes
    6. Get married
    7. Tell your OB/GYN during the checkup that you've been getting EVERY YEAR that you would like to try to conceive
    8. Track your ovulation
    9. Have sex a couple days BEFORE you are due to ovulate.
    10. Consult with your doctor again if you are still having difficulties conceiving after a year.

This plan should only take you 6-7 years to complete, by which time you will have grown up enough to not be completely ticked off at my advice.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Jun 9, 2008, 06:03 AM
    BAHAHAHA! My thoughts exactly Synnen! I mean really, 17? Did someone dare you? :rolleyes:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2008, 06:05 AM
    We need some details here. Like why would you be trying to have a baby at 17? Are you fully prepared to support it?
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 9, 2008, 06:15 AM
    I thought if you were 17, all that was really needed was to pass a sperm through the room. I remember when I was a kid, a "good girl" got pregnant. The way she explained it was by saying it must have happened at the swimming pool. Some stray sperm wandered into her swim suit.

When I was 9, I believed that sort of thing could happen.
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Jun 9, 2008, 07:33 AM
    I may be way old fashioned, but shouldn't 17 years olds be worried about things like prom and college?
    babygirl1092 Posts: 114, Reputation: 8
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Wow umm... I think I might be here for some support! I am 17 and have a 1yr old and twins on the way and my boyfriend has a 2yr and I am the mom in the whole situation I take care of our kids and my pregnancy and my little brother. Age has very little to do with this... and no ones taxes are paying for my kids or my parents! My boyfriend has a great job and we have plenty of money for us and our kids... and I am only 17 and he is 20... so if you believe that you have a good job a safe home for you and this baby that you want, and you think you are going to be able to support you and this baby then go for it just make sure that this pregnancy is the most important thing and be ready for a change of life and a rough time because being a mother is hard on every woman especially for us young ones
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babygirl1092
    Wow umm.... I think I might be here for some support! I am 17 and have a 1yr old and twins on the way and my bf has a 2yr and I am the mom in the whole situation I take care of our kids and my pregnancy and my little brother. Age has very little to do with this... and no ones taxes are paying for my kids or my parents! My bf has a great job and we have plenty of money for us and our kids ... and I am only 17 and he is 20.... so if you believe that you have a good job a safe home for you and this baby that you want, and you think you are going to be able to support you and this baby then go for it just make sure that this pregnancy is the most important thing and be ready for a change of life and a rough time becuase being a mother is hard on every woman expecially for us young ones

Babygirl- While I think it is great that you can support yourself and your children, I would have to say that you are an exception to the rule.

OP:
    What is the rush, why not live a little before having a baby?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Wow umm.... I think I might be here for some support! I am 17 and have a 1yr old and twins on the way and my bf has a 2yr and I am the mom in the whole situation I take care of our kids and my pregnancy and my little brother. Age has very little to do with this... and no ones taxes are paying for my kids or my parents! My bf has a great job and we have plenty of money for us and our kids ... and I am only 17 and he is 20.... so if you believe that you have a good job a safe home for you and this baby that you want, and you think you are going to be able to support you and this baby then go for it just make sure that this pregnancy is the most important thing and be ready for a change of life and a rough time becuase being a mother is hard on every woman expecially for us young ones

Your BOYFRIEND makes enough money to support you. What happens if something happens to him? What happens if he, for some unknown reason, leaves or breaks up with you. It's easier to walk away and not be responsible as a BOYFRIEND.

Now... if you were MARRIED, had your own job, and stated that you'd either graduated high school or gotten your GED and were looking at college down the road, I'd take you a bit more seriously.
    babygirl1092 Posts: 114, Reputation: 8
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I finshed high school this year and do plan to attend collage. And at this moment I don't have a job since I was going to school and taking care of our kids... and ill be 18 tomorrow then we can plan to get married and we have ever entention to get married. And I do have my parents if any thing were to happen between me and my boyfriend. As of this moment I do not need the support of them so my parents would be very willing to help for the short time I would need them too.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jun 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Wow, OK I understand you, now lets me see, why do you want another baby right now, seems like you got your hands full, if I were you, I would get married, and settle down really good before I went and had another child. Your still a kid, and babies and pricey so I think you should take care of your twins and your B/F, and wait about five years.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Why are you in such a hurry to grow up? You have not even lived yet, you have so much growing and learning to do as an adult. There is a big difference between what you want now, and what you are going to want 3 or 4 years down the road.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I agree with you. If the OP has a good job, a safe home and can support it then sure, go ahead. The problem is that very few 17 yr olds can provide that. It also means giving up a lot. So unless she does have all those things AND is willing to give up her wild oats sowing years, a baby shouldn't be in the picture now. The problem is we don't know, which is why I asked for more info.

As for your situation. I wonder how great a job a 20 yr old can have (unless its in a family business) and how a 20 yr old can earn plenty of money to support a family of 6.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brittany1991
    ok im 17 years old ive been tryin to have a baby for about 2 months, and nothing is working...
    what is the best way to get pregnant?
    Brittany Sweetheart,

17 is awful young to want to become a mother, but without knowing your cirucumstances or current situation, I think it's hard to comment either way.

We do hope you come back and share more about what is going on with you so we all can help you in the way you need.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Jun 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
    being a mother is hard on every woman
    You may consider yourself a woman hun, but mentally speaking (and physically) a 17 yr old - male or female - has a lot of maturing to do. And I don't mean that in a nasty way either, it's just a fact. :)

Brittany, once you have them, children become the centre of your attention and unless you have excellent family support, you may find it really hard to cope. Hope you're prepared for that. Suppose you have a disabled baby, twins, whatever! How would you cope then? You need to consider all the possibilities.
    pimp_mah_alpaka Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
    At your age I don't think its wise for you to have a baby yet. Think about it because it can strain you mentally, physically, emotionally and financially. It's also hard to lose weight after having your baby and your body is never the same as your pelvis bone and other muscles have stretched. You have years and years ahead of you, use the time you have left (before coming to mother hood) wisely. Please, think about this before you actually try again. Think of everything you have to give up so that you can nurture this child.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jun 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Thank goodness I waited until I was 29 to have a baby instead of 17 when so many of my friends did!

I can't imagine being 29 with a 12 year old child. I'd much rather have a newborn at this age, now that life is so much easier for my husband and I... after college, owning our own home. etc. That's just what I felt was best for our family though...
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    Thank goodness I waited until I was 29 to have a baby instead of 17 when so many of my friends did!
    I'll disagree with that (without the reddie). When your baby is 29 and having your grandchildren, you'll be in your late 50s. You better keep in shape!

Grandchildren are much more fun than children. You want to be young for them.

I'd definitely lean more toward starting at 17 than 29, although somewhere in the middle is preferable.

I agree, it seems like it might be too early based on what we know about us, but every situation is different. She is probably mature and emotionally stable enough to make it work just fine.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
    17 is so young and really, you are not mature enough to have and raise and support a child at that age. I know you think you are, and I know you're in love and that love will conquer all, and that you and your boyfriend are the exception and very smart and know what you are doing... get the picture?

I've heard it all before sweetie, we all have. I'm not saying it wouldn't work out, but the odds are against it. Why are you in such a hurry, wait a few more years, you have your whole life ahead of you. Do you want to spend the rest of your teen years wiping poopy bums and snotty noses, never having enough money, living paycheck to paycheck, if you can even do that? Why are kids in such a hurry to have kids, be a kid yourself for a while. You'll be happy you did.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    I'll disagree with that (without the reddie). When your baby is 29 and having your grandchildren, you'll be in your late 50s. You better keep in shape!

Grandchildren are much more fun than children. You want to be young for them.

I'd definitely lean more toward starting at 17 than 29, although somewhere in the middle is preferable.

I agree, it seems like it might be too early based on what we know about us, but every situation is different. She is probably mature and emotionally stable enough to make it work just fine.
    I have to disagree with you (without the reddie- since this is a difference of opinion). 17 is much to young to have a child- they are still children themselves. The world we live in has changed since my mom had me (at 23). Today, women are waiting longer to have childrenfor a variety of reasons, all of which are respectable.

I think it is a personal decision as to when you have a child. My husband just turned 40 and we have been trying for a child for about a year. When I finally do get pregnant we are going to enjoy our child and not worry about the fact that he will be 70 when he gets to be a grand dad. Not for nothing you never know what is going to happen- my dad died at 47 before he became a grandfather- but he was the best father around. Live for today, not tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    She is probably mature and emotionally stable enough to make it work just fine.
    As a teacher of MANY 17 year old students I can say that this is a huge assumption. In all of my years of teaching I can count on one hand the number of 17 year olds that were mature enough to handle the demands of a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

I'm having a baby and my dog already thinks she's my baby! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a questions. I have two dogs. An 8 month old St. Bernard female named Moose and a 1 & 1/2 yeard old Samyoed male name Buckie. I just recently found out I was pregnant and have started to get really worried. Buckie is VERY attached to Moose but...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Lose of 1 baby boy & 2 baby girls [ 4 Answers ]

I have meet a lady on myspace and she has lost 3 kids a little boy and a set of twin girls the boy was about 2 years ago he only lived a couple of hours and the twins one lived 3 days and the other only an hour. What can I do to help her through this time? I just feel so sorry for her. Two years...

View more questions Search