Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeafra10 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Night Sweats/Fever 87 years old What is it?
    My Mother is going to be 87 and I am sure she is dying BUT, I guess we want to know what is wrong with her. The doctor for the past month doesn't know. I give up. These are her symptoms. She has nights sweats each and every night for the past month. They are so bad that she has to change about 3 times a night. She gets a fever every night for the past month. Always at night. About 100.4 or 101.4. Headache starts about 5:00 in the morning and continues on for about 1/2 of the day. She is healthly, has never complained in her life. She a stroke last year but came out of it perfect. She takes a antidepressant, heart pill, high blood pressure and that is about it. The doctor took her blood twice for about 25 things and said she was low in sodium, that was it. Her lungs are clear, my neighbor swears she has TB, but the lung ex-ray proved that wrong. She is scheduled for a CAT Scan of her head soon, but we are sure worried. My sister is going to see her tomorrow, she lives with my cousin and she doesn't know what to do with her, my Mom just doesn't want to go the hospital, she says what can they do. She weights 85 pounds and is losing as I type. She is not hungry at all, nothing sounds good and she feels most of the time sick to her stomach.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2008, 01:07 PM
    She obviously has some sort of an infection for her to have a temp like that. Very surprised the dr could not diagnose her. Did he rule out diabetes?

Jun 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Want to add that my Mom was transported to the Hospital this morning in an Ambulance. She was very dehidrated and is having a CAT as I write this note. She had a lot of blood work before and they have found nothing, we shall see from this visit to the hospital with a new doctor.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Am really mystified about your mom's symptoms. Hopefully they will figure it all out at the hospital. Please get back once you know what the problem is. Sometimes changing doctors is the cure.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I hope Mom is okay and I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I have heard that antidepressants can cause severe nightsweats depending on type and dosage. It's something to consider, but with Mom being dehydrated, it's best she is in the hosptial and giving a good check.

Let us know how Mom does.

My best to you,
    Allheart.

Jun 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
    I want to keep you guys informed. Her CAT Scan of the Head was perfect. We now have the doctors really running around wondering what the heck does she have. They are giving her a complete body CAT Scan as I type. I will keep you posted. It is not TB like the nurse down the lane said, and it is not from the Shingles Shot she had about 4 months ago, although she is acting just like the neighbor that had the Shingles, the after math of them. Night sweats, fever and headache, but they have ruled that out. Took a lot more blood from each arm and she is resting, my sister said she looks like death warmed over and they can't figure what she has.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 12:21 AM
    This may sound really bizarre, but has Mom had any tomatoes recently. A very long shot, but I just saw it on the news.

Tomato recall includes safe list

Jun 10, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Go figure, they sent my Mom home last night. They couldn't keep her. They are looking for that needle in the haystack. They said she needed an echocardiogram, a TB Test, also she was asked to see an infectious disease doctor, and keep track of her fever. That was it, she was really tired. They gave her a liter of water because she was dehydrated.

Jun 16, 2008, 02:02 PM
    My Mom is still having night sweats and fever as I write, it has been over 1 month. They did find some inflammation somewhere in her body through the blood test so we are progressing. She is to have 5 new test coming this week, I told my Mom hang in there for a few weeks don't give up now. I think they are finally getting close, we have guessed a heart valve infection. We shall see.

Jun 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Well I can't believe I am writing this note about my Mom when I said about 40 days ago that the doctor should have given her a dose of Predisone and see what she feels like after that, well she went to see a Rheumalogist and she has inflamed veins. He saw it right away on her blood test, don't ask me why an Internist couldn't read the test but oh well. I am sure she will be feeling better soon. She is still going to get the echocardiogram Friday. Stay tuned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night sweats [ 4 Answers ]

I have been suffering from night sweats for a long time now. I have tried lighter bedding, no heat on at night etc etc. I wake up drenched. I am 46.

Why my night sweats? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been waking up drenched, I am 31, I was recently addictedto marajuana, I had them whileon it and I have quit for a week and they have returned, I have no idea why I wakeup soaked and some of thesemedical sites have scred me?

Sweats [ 3 Answers ]

Why Sweats smell bad?

Night sweats [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 8yrs I've suffered from sweating in the night, this isn't a little sweating, you'd have thought that id wet the bed, then I wake up very cold, I've tried having less bedding, but this doesn't seem to work. It doesn't happen every night, it seems to do it for a week or so then stops...

View more questions Search