Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    f18fdg Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 12:40 AM
    Dog ear wax color
    My lab has just gotten over an ear infection ( been over two weeks). I cleaned his ears with a Q tip just as labman mentioned in a previous post and noticed the wax color was reddish-brown

Is this normal color or due to the infection? He had a lot of build up and I don't know if I got it all

Is there some sort of ear drop soloution to remove ear wax similar to the ones for humans?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Some Labs, such as My Aster and her younger half sister, produce large quantities of the reddish wax at times even if their ears aren't infected. Both dogs were part of a dog guide program, and have been examined by local vets and the staff at the dog guide school. The consensus is keep cleaning their ears like we are. Same story for Aster's replacement. I sometimes clean his ears too.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Thinking about this some more. Neither my vet, my friend's vet, or the ones at the dog guide school have examined your dog. What somebody else's vet determines is best for their dog, might not be what your vet might find best after examining your dog.
    Shades Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    There is a solution you can purchase from your vet to remove ear wax. If the reddish tinge to the wax could possibly be blood then take your dog to the vet for a examination again in case there is still a slight ear infection remaining or irritation of his ear canal.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 7, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Labs produce excessive wax (thanks to God and genetics) since they are primarily hunting dogs and in water a lot. A product called Vet Solutions ear wash is good for maintenance every 2 weeks-follow directions as prescribed and wipe out excess, the rest evaporates. There are many other products for ears, too many to mention so call you vet to find the right combo for your dog. Two weeks may not be enough time for the infection to be totally cleared up. Reddish color can be attributed from anything from dirt or mud to blood... let the vet check it out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to take out hair color [ 6 Answers ]

I dyed my hair black and I want to go back to my natural color without going to salon and doing it and I'm wondering what the best way is to take the color out

Too dark of color [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. so on Saturday morning I dyed my hair a light/medium brown and put highlights in it. Of course my boyfriend told me the highlights look orangy.. so me being the genius that I am :D.. decided to buy DARK BROWN hair dye and dye it.. It came out SO bad.. it was streaky and diffferent colors and...

Need name of older movie [ 2 Answers ]

It most probably was on television late 70's early 80's. There was a woman who cured the sick by touching them. I remember one scene in which she stopped a little girl's nosebleed. I know it's not much, please help if you can. Thanks!!

Color Zap [ 1 Answers ]

I covered my gray with Natural Instincts Costal Dune color. It won't wash out and now I have gray roots. I'd like to go back to my gray color. Am I correct that I can use the Color Zap and not have to apply new color? Somebody told me that color removers would just turn my hair orange and I'd...

16 Bit Color [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I'm using W98SE--How do I get to that graph bar that shows if I'm using 16 bit color or more--I can't remember how to get to that page-I would like to slide it up a bit higher--Thanks so much--

View more questions Search