Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsyazici Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Probation Laws
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a couple of questions. My husband is on probation right now and he was sentenced to 3 years. In June of this year it will be 2 years. When he went to his probation officer, and told her he was going to see if he could be let off early. She told him that even if he is let off probation and his restition is paid in full, he would still have to come and see her on a montly basis until the 3 years is compete. I live in New York state and I have never heard of this before in my life. Could someone please tell me if this is true or if they have ever heard of something like this before.

Thank you so much for your time and your help!:rolleyes:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2006, 09:38 PM
    You will have to produce some evidence that he has improved his job, gotten more education and some good reasons to reduce his probation time.

Next it does not sound like the probation officer is going to recommend it, if they don't, there is almost no chance of getting it reduced.

But if the judge does sign off to be taken off probation, then they are off, it ends, there would be no reporting if the probation ends.

Note probation officers have no problem lying to you, messing with you and doing things just to pull your chains. Many are OK, but some enjoy the control over you.

Now next is this regular state probation officers or is this though a private probation company. With private probation companies you actually have a contract with them and part of your monthly payments go to pay them.
    With the case of this, you have the written contract in addition to the judges instructions.

But in general it will all be up to the judge, what ever he rules, is what the rule is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Hello mrs.

Well, now you know that his PO is NOT on your side. That's cool. It would probably be easier if she was in his court, but it's certainly no reason not to try to get him off early.

The only way I ever got anything was, not to ask (because the first word out of these peoples mouths is NO), but to demand. I don't mean that you should make your demands disrespectfully, but you absolutely should demand. Why? Because it puts the onus on them to justify their actions, rather than on your husband.

The difference between these two approaches is night and day. In one instance, your husband comes to the system, hat in hand, head lowered, being deferential, ASKING those in power to grant him something. That's the way it usually goes, and THEY love it. Why, because they're in charge - makes 'em feel important.

The "demand" approach I have found, turns the tables on them completely. Now, when I say demand, here is what you must do. I promise you that there is written criteria for early termination of parole. You are going to have to dig it up. It's probably called a "Policy and Procedures" manual or something like it. His PO may never have read it, and may not even know it exists. But she may, indeed, knows that it exists, but will tell you that it doesn't, and will try her best to dissuade you. Even her supervisor may not know of this document. Not to worry. It's there. Dig hard. You'll find it.

And, once you do, it will list the specific criteria your husband needs to meet. Then, it is simply a matter of writing a letter to the Judge, where you ask him to consider your letter a motion for early termination of probation. Be sure to send a copy to the prosecutor. In the letter, demonstrate how your husband meets the criteria cited in such and such documents. End by saying that he has performed his probation to date with NO disciplinary incidents. The motion doesn’t “ask” for anything. It simply states the rules and expects compliance.

They're going to have a very, very hard time turning him down. And, it's OK that his PO is living in la la land. She'll eventually learn the rules (one can hope). This can be done absolutely without her input, or at least it will be minimized.

excon
    lolo1112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 11:47 AM
    No I haven't I heard it was a new law call 1610 something like that after you complete your fines and restitution and community service you no longer have to report every month you will be on call in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On probation [ 7 Answers ]

OK I've been placed on probation as of February 1st,2006 until Feb 1st,2009.I'm scheduled for a personal meeting with my student coordinator to set up classes and what not.the problem is it's out of state,I haven't spoken with anyone including my probation officer since January 18th.should I try to...

Probation [ 7 Answers ]

I was placed on probation for a year for grand theft under 3,000 in fees. Time is up oct. 15-06 I have not been able to pay any money but I have completed all community hrs. I was 2 months pregnant at the time and did not know it I had my child 6-13-06 he passed on 6-30-06 though I have not had...

Probation help [ 4 Answers ]

How does one go about getting a early release from federal probation? I have a 4 year term of probation with 2 years to go. My case is in Michigan but I live in san diego. Thank you.

Probation and a job [ 2 Answers ]

An individual is hired at a job while in a work release center and is placed on probation with the requirement to have a job. If this person is fired from their job, must the employer contact anyone legally? I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this. Thanks!

Probation [ 10 Answers ]

After Being Placed On Probation For A Year I Am Having Trouble Meeting The Financial Obligations Of The Probation. Can The Court Help Or Should I Just Go To Jail?

View more questions Search