Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nodelac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Cast iron toilet flange
    I have to replace the floor under the toilet because it was rotten.
    The toilet flange is cast iron (the house is over 60 years old); it is still in excellent shape.

I prefer not to remove the flange from the cast iron pipe (I am an amateur, and don’t like to mess around with these ancient hardware). If I made the new flooring under the toilet from two pieces (to go around the flange), and connect the two with a 1/4” thick steel plate (from underneath), do you think the floor will be sturdy enough to prevent an wobbly toilet.
    (There is not enough room under the 45 degree drop kick cast iron flange for a thick ply wood / lumber).

Do you have any other suggestions? Is removing the flange from the cast iron pipe easy enough to be done by an amateur? Many thanks,
    nodelac
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I may be misunderstanding you but your should be putting down at least a 5/8 or 3/4 plywood flooring. Are you saying that you can not slide a piece of 5/8 plywood in unedr one side of the toilet flange?

Jun 8, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Many thanks to ballengerb1 for your quick response.
    I will be using a 1" thick plywood, and will be able to slide underneath the toilet flange, however I will have to cut the plywood in 2 sections (of which each will have a half hole of approximately 4.5" diameter, because the flange outside diameter is 7" and the cast iron piping is 4.25" O.D. (the flange is still attached to the cast iron piping; and I don't like mess it up by trying to detach it from the cast iron piping).
    Cheers,
    nodelac

Jun 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
    OK I better understand you. I would suggest cutting a large U shaped slot in the plywood and then slide the U under the toilet. A U slot gives support 3/4 of the way around the toilet rather than two half circles. The bottom circumfurence of the U slot should be 4.25" and the falne top surface should be just above your finished floor surface. Will you be putting down ceramic or vinyl or what?

Jun 8, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Thanks for your quick response.
    I will be installing ceramic tile. At the moment the old flange is sitting on the new 1" wooden floor. So I think I will have to buy toilet flange extension kit tom raise the flage to above the ceramic tile. Is taht right?
    Eventually two sheets with half 4.5" diameter holes, and managed to add additional support to the new floor from underneath. It seems to be quite sturdy.
    Thanks for your input.

Jun 9, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Your flange can be flush with the floor surface or it can sit on top of the floor surface. Nything within this tolerance will be OK with a standard single wax ring.
    ICEBIRD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Mmm

Jul 31, 2008, 09:06 AM
    ICEBIRD, interesting comment!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Install 2 halves of ply. Put 2x4 at the cut. Secure with lots of 1 1/4" coarse drywall screws.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Since you have to build up the replacement floor 1', I suggest you make one piece out of 1/2' ply riped down the center of the hole like you stated. Then make the second piece but rip it through the center of the hole the opposite direction. When screwed together one piece will support the other.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a cast iron toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron toilet flange broke at the bolt areas and looks like it was never replaced. The house is 50 years old. The pipe is cast iron as well and measures 4-1/4" OD and 3-1/2" ID. I removed the old flange and noticed there was what appeared to a lead seal holding it in place. Based on the...

Offset cast iron toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling an early seventies ranch built on slab. One bathroom has an offset flange of cast iron. There is only one t-bolt slot, located on the offset side. There is no place for a t-bolt on the 'close' side. The flange does not appear to be damaged, although there was a lot of rust that I...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

Cast Iron Toilet Flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing my toilet and found that the cast iron toilet flange is broken where one of the bolts that hold the toilet should go. This was a crescent shaped slot, but the outer rim is broken and missing. I was going to replace the flange, but can't see how it is fastened to the drain pipe. ...

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

View more questions Search