Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Taxes and using two books
    For tax purposes we have been discussing that its okay to have 2 sets of books since GAAP and the IRS do not always agree, I wonder what are the differences and similarities between the 2 books.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Everything should be exactly the same, except for whatever items you need to change to account for tax purposes.

For instance, if you are using straight-line depreciation for a fixed asset on your books, but you're using MACRS for tax purposes, you are going to have a difference in both the expense and the accumulated depreciation each year. You may use $3000 on your books one year, but $6500 for tax purposes. So the expense for tax would be bigger (for that one item only), and therefore net income would be smaller. The accumulated depreciation would be different also, but that will not directly affect current taxes, but can have an effect later if the asset is sold or whatever.

If that were the only difference you had between book and tax, you would only have that one slight difference. Nothing else would be different. But of course, you could have several items like this.

As for the statement that it is "OK" to have 2 sets of books -- yes it is. But you also must think of the cost-benefit. The other way is to make adjustments at the end of the year for the tax differences. Both take time. So you have to determine which is most cost effective. Having always worked for small companies with very few tax adjustments, it was never in a million years worth keeping two sets of books.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old books [ 5 Answers ]

I have a few old books (100+yrs). Does anyone know any online valuers? Or somewhere for a rough estimate? I'm wondering if they're worth taking to a valuers or am I going to look silly? thanks moomin ;)

Tell all books [ 1 Answers ]

I just read "If I did it" by O.J. Simpson and "The Otherman" about John F. Kennedy Jr. Carolyn Bessette, and Michael Bergin I really liked them both and I'm looking for suggestions to similar books-any good tell alls:)

E books [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Please tell me which is the best site for finding any ebooks?

Name of these two books [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure these are children's books, at most teen books. The first book goes like this: Girl lives with her brother and her grandparents(I think) near a little town. The main character is a girl. She has a gift to talk to animals, and her brother has a gift that is unknown. She is a...

View more questions Search